In this section:

Center for Veteran, Military and Family Programs

The Center for Veteran, Military and Family Programs (CVMF) at WVU assists in providing academic, personal and professional support for all military connected students in a safe and welcoming environment.  The center is open to all veterans, armed forces personnel and dependents of current and former military service members.  

For information on how to start your VA benefits:
U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs
WV Educational Encouragement Program

Center for Veteran, Military and Family Programs


All students receiving VA benefits for the first time will need to apply by going to U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs. If you are approved, you will be sent a Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) in the mail. Please note this process may take four to six weeks.  Visit the Center for Veteran, Military and Family Programs to view additional documentation needed for benefit certification.

Undergraduate students who wish to receive the full stipend of VA Educational benefits in the fall and spring semesters, must maintain a minimum of 12-degree pursuant credit hours.  Degree pursuant coursework can be defined as courses recorded as degree requirements, degree electives, course prerequisites, required general education courses, and minors required by a given major as stated in the WVU Catalog. Students receiving Chapter 31, 33, or 1606, will need to submit a DD-214 to in order to receive credit for basic training and advanced individualized schooling. Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) or Military Science (MILS) courses and elective non-degree applicable courses, such as PE courses, do not count as degree pursuant courses except those fulfilling general education requirements or elective hours to complete major (if applicable). To be certified for terms other than fall/spring, contact the Center for Veteran, Military and Family Programs to discuss the amount of credits needed for full time status.

Students receiving benefits need to be aware that charges for housing and meal plans will be the student's responsibility to pay up front. Stipends from the VA will begin approximately one month after the certification process is completed. 

Undergraduate students receiving benefits must declare a major or non-exploratory pathway by the time they reach 29 earned hours.  Students must matriculate into their intended degree program by 59 earned hours.  If this does not happen, the student cannot be certified for benefit payment.

Graduate students who wish to receive VA Educational benefits, should follow the rate of pursuit calculator located at the Center for Veteran, Military and Family Programs to determine the amount of benefit he/she will receive. The number of credit hours, along with the number of weeks in class, will determine if full time status is met. Only degree pursuant coursework will be counted toward VA certification. Please speak with your academic adviser to confirm credits are degree pursuant. 

For VA purposes, students receiving benefits will be certified as on-campus, hybrid (low-modality) or online. On-campus and hybrid programs receive a higher rate for Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) than online. Visit to compare rates. Hybrid programs are those in which on-campus student attendance is required at least one time per term. Students must sign in for the academic session and inform the professor to send proof of attendance to the certifying official on campus. The certifying official will recertify benefits at the higher BAH rate. Meetings that take place before or after the class begins or ends (such as orientations), will not count toward hybrid certification. *BAH will not be affected for active duty students receiving Federal Tuition Assistance.

For more information on modality definitions, visit WVU Catalog.

Prior Credit Evaluation

All student veterans are required to submit a Prior Credit Evaluation Form within two semesters of coming to WVU in order to be certified for benefits.  It will be the student’s responsibility to inform a certifying official if his/her major has changed.  The certifying official will send a Prior Credit Evaluation Form to the student’s adviser to list the amount of credits to be used for the new major of choice.

Contact Information:
The Center for Veteran, Military, and Family Programs (CVMF) at WVU Mountainlair, Room 214
Phone: 304-293-8825
Facebook: WVUVeteransHQ
Twitter: @WVUVeterans

Back To Top

Registration for Veterans

West Virginia University offers priority registration to veterans as part of the Forever GI Bill - Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act. 

Additional important information regarding attendance, leave policies and withdraw policies can be found under the Enrollment tab of the Advising, Enrollment and Grades section of the catalog.

Back To Top

Student Account Policies

Policies are in place concerning late fees, financial holds, removal from class and collections.  Students should review the Student Accounts Financial Responsibility page for the most up to date information about Payment Due Dates, Late Payment Fees, Financial Holds and the Collection Policy. 

Section 103

On December 31, 2018, the President signed into law the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018. It contains a provision (Section 103) that takes effect on August 1, 2019.  Therefore, despite any policy to the contrary, for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from the VA, WVU will not:

  • Prevent their enrollment;
  • Assess a late penalty fee to;
  • Require they secure alternative or additional funding;
  • Deny their access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution.

However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:

  • Produce the VA’s Certificate of Eligibility by the first day of class;
  • Provide written request to be certified;
  • Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies (see our VA School Certifying Official for all requirements).

Graduate Credit Hours for Full Time Status

Back To Top