Advising, Enrollment & Grades


  • Advisory System/Academic Advisors
  • Academic Success Center
  • Degree Works


  • Attendance Policy
  • Auditors
  • Military Leave
  • Preferred Name Policy
  • WIthdrawal Policy


  • Grading System
  • Pass / Fail Grading
  • Incomplete Grades
  • Grade Point Average
  • Repeat Policy
  • D/F Repeat Rule for Developmental English and Math
  • Grade Reports
  • Honors
  • Transcripts

In this section:

Advisory System/Academic Advisers

The Dean of Academic Affairs exercises general oversight of the academic work of the students. Each student will be assigned an adviser whose duty is to assist students in preparing schedules and to be available for consultation throughout the semester. Students are required to meet with their academic advisers prior to registering for classes each semester. Students are responsible for their own academic well-being, including knowing their scholastic standing as it relates to their published regulations and standards of Potomac State College of WVU. Students are responsible for their college plan, especially preparation for transfer or preparation for migration to the Morgantown campus. Students are encourages to meet with their academic adviser when questions arise. Students are expected to become familiar with the College Catalog.

Academic Success Center

The Academic Success Center is located on the ground floor of the Mary F. Shipper Library. Professional tutoring and peer tutoring services are available. The center also includes a computer lab and study areas.

Degree Works

Degree Works is the online advising and degree auditing tool at WVU. All undergraduate students should have a completed audit for graduation. Some graduate programs also have an audit available in Degree Works. Please refer to this system regularly. Students can access Degree Works through the WVU Portal. More information is available at

Degree Works is NOT an official evaluation. All degree requirements must be verified by student's college or school prior to graduation. Students are responsible for complying with all academic policies published in the University catalog. If students have any questions about the information presented in this audit, they are encouraged to contact their advisor or the Office of the University Registrar at

In this section:

Attendance Policies

Instructors may set attendance policies that are appropriate for the goals and instructional strategies of their courses and instructors may include attendance records in determining the final course grade. All attendance policies that affect students' grades must be announced in writing (typically within the course syllabus) within the first week of class. Moreover, instructors are responsible for keeping accurate enrollment records, and for keeping accurate attendance records when attendance is used in grading.

Students who are absent from class for any reason are responsible for all missed work and for contacting their instructors promptly, unless the instructors' policies require otherwise. However, instructors cannot require documentation of student illness from any medical provider as part of an attendance policy, as medical conditions are confidential and frequently not verifiable.


An auditor may register for courses and must pay full fees but does not receive credit for the course. A student who audits a course must let one semester pass before enrolling in the course for credit. A student may change his or her status from audit to grade or grade to audit only during the registration period. Attendance requirements for auditors are determined by the instructor of the course. The instructor may direct the Office of the University Registrar to remove an auditor from a class list or grade report if attendance requirements are not met.

Military Leave

Students Called to Serve in the Military

  1. Students who withdraw from the College for military service up to and including the 12th week of the semester will receive a full refund of their fees and be administratively withdrawn from their classes. No course grades or credit will be awarded.
  2. Students who leave the College for military service after the 12th week of the semester should work with the designated contact, the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs.. The student may also contact the Office of the University Registrar (304-293-5355). The contact person will assist the student in reviewing the student's eligibility for credit for their courses on a course-by course basis with the instructors.
  3. The contact person will work with the student's instructors to gather grade information for the student. If the course is not in the student's home college, the contact person can work with his/her counterpart in the appropriate college. Several outcomes are possible:
  4. If the course is substantially complete and the student has done passing work, the student should receive the grade earned at that time. It is anticipated that this would be the outcome in the majority of the courses. NOTE: Students who receive orders with sufficient advance notice are expected to notify their professors of their upcoming deployment date and meet with their professors to come to an agreement on what regular course assignments they can reasonably complete prior to the deployment date (the details of this arrangement should be included in a contract initialed by both the instructor and the student; contracts must be placed in the student's file). Students should not be penalized for not completing assignments, quizzes, tests, or exams due after their deployment date.
  5. If a critical competency has yet to be covered in a competency-based course, the instructor should award a grade of "I" and work with the student to develop a plan to complete that critical part of the course. To alleviate confusion at a later date, the plan should be in writing and signed by both the instructor and the student. Students called to active duty for a relatively short duration that includes exam week may arrange for an "I" with provision to make up the final exam after completing the period of duty.
  6. If the student chooses to withdraw from the course. the contact person will work with the Office of Enrollment Services to provide an administrative withdrawal.

Leave for Military Drill

In accordance with the “Veteran Friendly” designation, PSC faculty may allow students who are members of the US Armed Forces (including the National Guard and Active Reserve) to make up tests and assignments that are missed during a semester if the student is officially called up for military service requirements for a limited period and if the delayed coursework completion will not irreversibly impact the student’s ability to appropriately master the required subject matter. Absence due to required military obligation should not exceed a cumulative amount of three weeks. Students should notify faculty members of the circumstances of their absence as far in advance as possible and work with faculty members to agree upon a plan of action for completing course requirements.

Preferred Name Policy

West Virginia University recognizes that students may use a different first name from their legal name. To facilitate this, the University allows students to select a preferred name to be used on class rosters, in DegreeWorks, MIX, eCampus and the online University directory (unless the student has directed nondisclosure), and other systems that do not contain official records as technically feasible. Preferred names are first names that are different than a student's legal first name. Official records of the University such as the transcript, diplomas, financial aid documents, and others, where legal name is required will not be available for the use of a preferred name. If a student changes names legally, these documents will reflect the legal name.

This accommodation is available to two groups of students: transgender and international students. The Office of the University Registrar may make exceptions for other students upon review.

Transgender students who wish to use a preferred name should contact one of the following units on campus to initiate use of their preferred name:

Morgantown Campus
Office of the University Registrar
Evansdale Crossing

Carruth Counseling Center/WellWVU
Health and Education Building
390 Birch Street

LGBTQ+ Center
Hodges Hall G-06
127 Hough Street

Beckley Campus
Trio and Diversity Programs
136 Benedum Center

Keyser Campus
Office of Enrollment Services
75 Arnold Street

International students who wish to use a preferred name should contact the Office of International Students and Scholars (Purinton House) to initiate use of the preferred name.

All students, regardless of University point of contact, will be asked to complete a form to request use of their preferred name. Submission of the form requires verification of photo ID by a WVU staff member. In the alternative, students may also send a letter to the Office of the University Registrar requesting the use of a preferred name. The letter should contain both the legal name and the preferred name as well as the student's WVU ID number. All letters must be signed and witnessed by a notary public.

The preferred name will remain in use until the student requests that it be deactivated. Deactivation can be initiated via the units listed above.

This process for using a preferred name does not impact students who officially change their legal name.

Withdrawal Policy

There are two types of withdrawals: withdrawal from individual courses for which a student has registered and a complete withdrawal from the College. Deadlines for withdrawals for each semester are available at: If students follow all established College procedures and withdraw before the published deadline, they will receive a W on their transcript. The grade point average is not affected in any way by this mark. If formal withdrawal procedures are not executed by the student, a failing grade/s will be recorded.

Withdrawal/Drop From Individual Classes

Students may drop individual classes within a term based on established deadlines. These deadlines are posted at

  • Students should confirm that this action will not put them below the minimum hours required to qualify for athletic eligibility, financial aid, or international full-time student status
  • If the course to be dropped is a co-requisite for another course the student is taking or a prerequisite for a course is required the following semester, the student may be required to drop the co-requisite course or asked to take a substitute course the following semester.

Withdrawal From All Classes for the Term

Students may withdraw from the College for the term in which they are enrolled at any time before the last day of classes of the term on which regular classes are scheduled to meet. Students will receive grades of W in all classes for that term.


  1. To withdraw from all classes through the last day to drop a class with a W, a student would log on to their MIX account and drop their classes through STAR.
  2. To withdraw from all classes after the last day to drop a class with a W, a student must complete a Withdrawal from College form which is available in the Office of Enrollment Services or online at

Students who are unable to access the form may mail a request to:

Office of Enrollment Services
Potomac State College of WVU
75 Arnold Street
Keyser, WV 26726

Include: full name, WVU ID number, reason for withdrawal, address, telephone number and signature. The request may also be faxed to (304) 788-6939.

Important Notice:  Financial aid recipients who withdraw from all classes before sixty percent of the term is completed may be required to return a portion of any financial aid that was received for the term. Students who do not receive at least one passing grade for classes in a term must provide documentation which verifies continued participation in educational activities. If documentation cannot be provided, those students are considered to have informally withdrawn from WVU prior to sixty percent of the term and may be required to return a portion of any financial aid which was received. This review and return of financial aid is done in accordance with federal regulations.

In this section:

Grading System

Grade Description
A Excellent (Given only to students of superior ability and attainment)
B Good (Given only to students who are well above average but not in the highest group.)
C Fair (Average for undergraduate students.)
D Poor but passing
F Failure
I Incomplete
W Withdrawal from a course before the date specified in the University calendar.
P Pass (See Pass/Fail grading below)
X Auditor, no grade and no credit.
CR Credit but no grade
PR re-enroll (student's progress in a foundations course is satisfactory but course competencies have yet been mastered.)
S Satisfactory
U Unsatisfactory
H Honors course (Professional school courses only)
IF Incomplete grade not removed by next regular term (Computed as an F.)
UF Unforgivable F (Not eligible for D/F repeat policy.)

Pass/Fail Grading

Pass/fail grading encourages students to take elective courses not related to their degree concentrations. Pass/fail grading also facilitates grading in competency-based courses that may be an integral part of an academic program.

Any full-time student who has completed fifteen hours or more and who has maintained a 2.0 grade point average may take a maximum of four hours each semester or summer term on a pass/fail basis. Any course taken on a pass/fail basis must be a free elective. Students are limited to a total of eighteen hours of pass/fail credit in the collegiate career. Courses in the major, courses in other subjects that are required by the major, and courses taken to satisfy College requirements are excluded from pass/fail. For example, courses elected to satisfy the General Education Foundations (GEF) or foreign language requirements may not be taken for pass/fail grading.

A course taken on a pass/fail basis is graded as a graded course. The instructor turns in the appropriate letter grade to the Office of the University Registrar. This letter grade is then converted to a P on the basis of A, B, C, or D for a pass and F for a fail. The grade of P does not affect your grade point average. However, any F grade affects a student’s grade point average whether it is a regular grade or a pass/fail grade.

A student chooses the option of pass/fail grading for a course during the registration period. Once the registration period has ended, he or she may not change the grade status in the course.

The college may designate any performance- or competency-based course as exclusively pass/fail. Courses offered only as pass/fail are not included in the maximum of eighteen hours that may be freely elected as pass/fail under the student option.

Incomplete Grades

A grade of I (Incomplete) is a temporary grade assignment used when unforeseen, non-academic circumstances arise that prohibit students from completing the last course assignments or examinations at the end of the semester.  The grade of Incomplete is typically assigned because of an excused absence from the final examination, or because assignments are unavoidably incomplete, as determined by the instructor.  Students who are failing a course (exclusive of the incomplete work) may not request an Incomplete.

Students who want be considered for an Incomplete must apply to their instructor prior to the end of the term. If the instructor agrees, the instructor and the student must negotiate the conditions under which the grade of I will be changed to a letter grade and sign a contract.  The date to submit the incomplete work should not be set beyond the last day of class of the following semester. If the student does not complete the terms of contract then the instructor should submit a grade of F. All incomplete contracts must be filed with the Office of Enrollment Services with copies to the student and the Office of Academic Affairs.

To remove the grade of I, a student does not register for the course again.

If the Incomplete grade is not changed by the end of the next major term (excluding summer), the I grade will be replaced with an IF.

Grade Point Average

All academic units of the University require minimum standards of scholastic quality that must be met or exceeded. Beginning in January 2012, grades earned in Baccalaureate-level college work attempted at other accredited US institutions are included in the calculation of the overall GPA. All credits and grades accepted as transfer credit from all accredited US institutions will be used in the calculation of the grade point average and total attempted and earned credits. Study Abroad credit is treated as non-US and is awarded as credit only, regardless of whether it is taken through a US institution. Only courses with a grade of "D" or higher will be transferred to WVU as earned Study Abroad credit. To be eligible to receive a baccalaureate degree, a student must have a GPA of at least 2.0 at the time of graduation. GPA is based on all work for which a student received a letter grade other than W, WU, P, and PR. See D/F repeat policy.

Students are responsible for knowing their grade point standing and can obtain the necessary information from their adviser or the dean of their college or school. GPA is determined according to the method described in the section on GPA calculations.

Grade Points

Each letter grade has a numeric value. Grade points are based on this number value and the credit hour value of the course.

  • A- 4
  • B- 3
  • C- 2
  • D- 1
  • F/UF- 0
  • I- 0
  • U- 0

The grade point average is computed on all work for which a student registers, with the following exceptions:

  • Courses with a grade of CR, P, PR, S, W, WU and X carry no grade value. The grade of Incomplete (I) initially carries no grade value.
  • When a student receives a grade of I and the incomplete grade is later removed, the grade point average is calculated on the basis of the new grade. If the I grade is not removed within the next semester, the grade is treated as an F (failure).
  • If a student is working toward teacher certification, he or she is responsible for every registration in a course in which the grade of A, B, C, D, F, P, X or I is received.

GPA Calculations

Students need to know how to calculate their overall and semester GPAs. The following example shows how to do it.

Assume a student registered for 16 hours and receive the following grades in these courses:

  • English 101 – B
  • Mathematics 126 - A
  • Geology 101 - C
  • Political Science 101 - B
  • Spanish 101 - D
  • Psychology 201 - P
  1. Multiply the credit by the grade value to get the grade points earned for each course using values for letter grades as described in the Grade Points section.
    • English 101, 3, B, 3, 3 x 3 = 9
    • Geology 101, 3, C, 2, 3 x 2 = 6
    • Spanish 101, 3, D, 1, 3 x 1 = 3
    • Mathematics 126, 3, A, 4, 3 x 4 =12
    • Political Science 101, 3, B, 3, 3 x 3 = 9
    • Psychology 201, 1, P, 0, 1 x 0 = 0
  2. Add the total grade points earned and divide by the total credit hours with a grade value. Remember that P grades have no grade value, so in this case, the grade points earned total 39 (9+6+3+12+9) and there are 15 credit hours (3+3+3+3+3) for the GPA calculation. The GPA calculation for this student would be: 39/15=2.6.

Repeat Policy

D/F Repeat

WVU has a D/F repeat policy for undergraduate students who have not received their initial baccalaureate degree. If a student earns a D or F in a course at WVU or at any school in the WV State System and the course is taken no later than the semester or summer term in which the student attempts the sixtieth hour (including any class in which the student earns a grade and transfer classes), the student may “D/F repeat” that course. Hours excluded in the attempted hour calculation are from the Intensive English Program and from any course with a grade of W. The course can be repeated only at WVU Morgantown or at one of WVU’s divisional campuses. Students have only one opportunity to improve their original grades under the D/F repeat policy. The new grade becomes the grade that counts toward the student’s cumulative GPA and credit hours for graduation, even if the repeated course grade is lower than the original grade in the course. The D/F repeat policy will be enacted any time an eligible course is repeated.

When a course is D/F repeated, the following procedure occurs:

  1. The original grade is disregarded for the purpose of determining the overall GPA; it is marked as excluded (E) in the semester that the student originally took the course.
  2. The original grade is not deleted from the student’s permanent record.
  3. The second grade is entered on the student’s transcript and marked as included (I) in the semester that the course was repeated.
  4. Grades of Unforgivable F (UF) are not eligible for D/F repeat. Such a failure is indicated on the student’s permanent record by an UF and is calculated in the GPA.

Other Repeated Courses

Courses repeated, but not eligible for the provisions of the D/F repeat policy, follow this procedure:

  1. The original grade is included in determining the overall GPA. It is excluded from earned or degree hours and is marked with an (A).
  2. The original grade is not deleted from the student’s permanent record.
  3. The second grade is entered on the student’s transcript and marked as included (I) in the semester that the course was repeated.
  4. Courses repeated more than once (including D/F repeats) are handled the same way with the final attempt carrying earned or degree hours. All attempts are used for determining the GPA.

Grade Reports

During the seventh weed of classes in the fall and spring semesters, instructors submit a grade for all students. These grades are used for counseling, are not recorded on the student's official transcript, and disappear from the computer system after the semester is completed. These grades are available to the student via the WVU Portal.

Final grades are due within 48 hours after the end of the Colleges final examination and are viewable to students within one week of submission. The final grades of all seniors provisionally approved for graduation at the close of the spring semester are reported to the Office of Enrollment Services using special forms provided for that purpose.

At the end of each semester, grades are available through the WVU Portal.

D/F Repeat Rule for Developmental English and Math

The course ENGL 90 was last offered at Potomac State in the Spring 2017 semester, and will not be offered in the future, thus, a conventional D/F repeat of those courses is not possible in the current catalog year. Students who have earned an F in ENGL 90 may have their ENGL 90 and grades excluded from GPA calculations, and designated with an E on the transcript, by completing the co-requisite course ENGL 101/100 at Potomac State. The D/F repeat procedure applies to this grade exclusion.

In a similar fashion, courses MATH 21 and MATH 91 were last offered at Potomac State in the Spring 2017 semester and MATH 93 was last offered in the Summer 2017 semester. These courses will not be offered in the future, thus, a conventional D/F repeat of those courses is not possible in the current catalog year. Students who have earned an F in MATH 21 may have this grade excluded from GPA calculations, and designated with an E on the transcript, by passing a section of MATH 121 that is linked to a co-requisite section at Potomac State. Students who have earned an F in either MATH 91 or MATH 93 may have this grade excluded from GPA calculations, and designated with an E on the transcript, by passing a section of MATH 122/MATH 293B at Potomac State.


honor society

The Sigma Phi Omega Honor Society was established in 1923. Membership in the society is considered to be a high distinction. It is restricted to students who earn a GPA of 3.0 or better with no failing grades during the grading periods and be actively involved in two campus organizations.

Potomac state college honors program

The Potomac State College Honors Program provides a program of honors courses that will apply toward general education and/or core requirements. Enrollment in the Honors Program is by invitation only.

Students who complete at least nine hours of honors credits are designated as Honors Scholars when graduating with an AA or AAS degree. Students who complete at least 18 hours of honors credits are fulfill additional requirements are designated as Honors Scholars when graduating with a BAS degree.

Students in the Honors program may transfer into West Virginia University Honors Program in Morgantown if they meet the requirements and choose to change campuses from Potomac State College.

president's and dean's lists

Full-time students whose academic accomplishments are of significant quality to merit special recognition are placed on either the President's List or the Dean's List. To be placed on the Presdient's List, a student must be enrolled for at least 12 credit hours of graded courses, excluding courses in which any grade of Audit, Pass, or Incomplete is recorded, and must earn a grade-point average of 3.700 or higher. To be placed on the Dean's List, a student must be enrolled for at least 12 credit hours of graded courses, and must maintain a grade-point average of 3.000 to 3.699 for the semester which he or she is enrolled. A student is not eligible for either list if the grade recorded for any course is D, F, I, or NR. Courses completed with a grade of P, S, or X are excluded from the calculation of credit hours for President's List and Dean's List.

president's and dean's scholars

Upon graduation, any student whose cumulative grade-point average is 3.700 or higher will be designated as a President's Scholar. Any student who earns a cumulative grade-point average of 3.000 to 3.699 will be named Dean's scholar.


Each copy of an official transcript costs nine dollars, payable by check, money order, or credit card. Because of demand, it may take two or three weeks to process an application for a regular transcript at the close of a semester or summer session. At other times, it is the policy of Potomac State College to process all regular transcript requests within 48 hours of receipt of the request.

All financial obligations to Potomac State College must be cleared before transcripts can be released. Transcripts may not be picked up by another party unless the student has given written authorization with the request. The designated person will be expected to show a picture I.D. before obtaining the transcript.

A student must furnish the following when requesting a transcript: full name under which enrolled, date of birth, last date of attendance, and WVU ID number.

Request for transcripts must be made in writing to:

The Office of Enrollment Services
75 Arnold Street
Keyser, WV 26726

A request form is also available at:

Telephone requests cannot be accepted due to risk to the security of your records.