- Notice to Students Regarding FERPA
- Designation of Directory Information
- Designation of Limited Use Directory Information
- Withholding Directory Information
- Parent/Guest Access to Online Student Records
Students at West Virginia University (WVU) have rights according to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974. This Act, was designed to protect the privacy of educational records, to establish the right of students to inspect and review their educational records, and to provide guidelines for the correction of inaccurate or misleading data. A more detailed explanation of rights afforded to students by FERPA can be found at the WVU FERPA website.
Directory Information is public and may be disclosed at West Virginia University's discretion for any purpose. WVU designates the following categories of student information as “Directory Information".
- Name of Student
- Official Address
- Telephone Number
- Place of Birth
- Age of Student
- Names and Addresses of Parents
- Major and Minor Fields of Study
- Class Status (e.g., freshman)
- Enrollment Status (e.g., full time or part time)
- Dates of Attendance
- Previous Educational Institution(s) Attended
- Degree(s) and Date(s) Conferred, including anticipated graduation dates
- Participation in Officially Recognized Activities and Sports
- Weight and Height of Members of Athletic Teams
- Duties and Responsibilities, including Dates of Service, of Graduate Assistants, Student Workers, Interns, or Student Volunteers
WVU designates the following categories of student information as “Limited Use Directory Information":
- University issued student electronic mail addresses (“Email Addresses”)
- Photographs, videos or other media containing a student’s image or likeness (collectively “Student Images”)
Use and disclosure of this information shall be limited to (1) those officials within the University who have access, consistent with FERPA, to such information and only in conjunction with an official institutional purpose; and (2) publication on websites hosted by, on behalf of, or for the benefit of the University, including the online directory available at: http://directory.wvu.edu.
Limited Use Directory Information may only be provided to external parties that are contractually affiliated with the University.
Students who do not request withholding of Directory Information are assumed to have approved disclosure of this information. Currently enrolled students, using the official West Virginia University Student Confidentiality Form, (listed under Records of the Forms tab), may withhold disclosure of Directory Information under the FERPA. To withhold disclosure, completed forms must be submitted in the Mountaineer Hub or mailed to the Office of the University Registrar.
A request to withhold Directory Information shall have no effect on disclosures made prior to receipt of the Student Confidentiality Form, and will not revoke third-party access to student records granted through the Parent/Guest Portal. Students may reinstate disclosure of Directory Information by completing the Release Confidentiality (Reinstate Directory Information) form.
The Parent/Guest Portal is the exclusive method by which a University student may grant third-party access to their records. Information that is protected from disclosure pursuant to FERPA, such as grades, financial aid details, and student account/billing information is maintained in a secure online environment. A student may grant permission to a parent or guest to access this information and make payments through this portal. A student may restrict the information that a parent or guest is able to access or may revoke access at any time.
For FERPA updates and more information on West Virginia University’s FERPA policy, please visit the WVU FERPA website, or contact the applicable office:
- Office of the University Registrar for the Morgantown location
- Office of Enrollment Services for the Keyser location
- Office of Enrollment Services for the Beckley location