In this section:

General Requirements for Graduation

All students must meet the following general requirements to graduate from WVU Potomac State College, regardless of the program of study selected:

  1. Complete a specified minimum of 60 semester hours of college credit for two-year associate degree programs and a specified minimum of 120 semester hours of college credit for four-year BAS programs. Some majors require more than the minimum number of hours;
  2. Complete all required courses outlined in the degree program;
  3. Earn a institutional grade-point average of 2.0;
  4. Satisfy the General Education Foundations (GEF) requirements as applicable to specific degree programs of study;
  5. Submit an application for graduation to the Office of Academic Affairs on or before the announced deadline for submission of graduation applications during the first month of the semester or term in which the student expects to graduate.

Students are advised that to depart from the prescribed program outline of study might delay graduation. Any departure from an outlined program of study or change in major field of study must have prior written approval of the Dean or Associate Dean of Academic Affairs. Students may request waiver of a graduation requirement under provisions of the current catalog and with consent of the Dean or Associate Dean of Academic Affairs.

Back To Top

First-Year Seminar

All students entering WVU Potomac State College as freshmen or as transfer students with fewer than 29 hours must take the First -Year Seminar course.

Back To Top

Residence Requirements

Transfer students who have completed all undergraduate work in another school in the West Virginia system of higher education must complete either the last 15 hours of work at WVU Potomac State College or at least 18 hours of work at PSC of which 8 of the last 16 hours must be on campus. Transfer students whose undergraduate work has been completed outside of the West Virginia system of higher education must complete a total of 45 hours or at least the last 15 hours of work in residence at PSC. Student’s may also be required to earn up to 8 hours in your major field regardless of the number of hours or the nature of the course transferred.

Note: The information listed below is WVU Morgantown's current Coursework Done Out of Residence policy and the future Coursework Done Out of Residence policy beginning in the 2019-2020 Academic Year for the WVU System.

Work Done Out of Residence

Coursework completed at another institution (excluding Potomac State College and WVU Institute of Technology) is considered non-WVU resident credit hours. Students transferring to WVU from another institution will receive a preliminary evaluation of transfer credits upon admission to the University. Transfer credits from two-year community colleges and junior colleges are limited to a maximum of seventy-two hours of lower-division credit. Coursework accepted from two-year colleges is limited to lower-division credit; in some cases, upper-division courses may not apply toward a student’s degree at WVU. WVU students who wish to take courses at another accredited institution and receive transfer credit should review the transient approval process and consult the Office of Admissions website ( for the Transient Application Form.

Coursework Done Out of Residence Policy beginning summer term, May 2019:  

It is possible that work completed at another institution may be used toward a West Virginia University degree.


Transfer students are West Virginia University students who have completed post-secondary coursework at a regionally accredited college or university after graduation from high school, but before registering at WVU.  Courses brought to WVU upon original matriculation are called transfer work.  To be admitted as a transfer student at WVU, a student must have at least a cumulative 2.0 grade point average in all college work attempted at regionally accredited institutions. Transfer students who have fewer than twenty-four transferable credit hours must also meet freshman admission standards.  Some individual programs and majors have different course requirements and higher grade-point average requirements.  More information can be found on the Undergraduate Admissions website

Transient students are current West Virginia University students who temporarily matriculate at another accredited institution to take courses to be recorded on their WVU transcript or who return to the University after an absence.  Courses brought in to WVU from another institution are called transient work.  Transient work includes work done at an accredited institution outside of the United States through a study abroad program vetted by West Virginia University and military credit validated by the American Council on Education (ACE). 

Rules Governing Transfer Work

  • All credit earned at a regionally accredited institution will transfer to West Virginia University.  Transferred coursework does not alter the WVU grade point average.  The WVU GPA is computed based solely on coursework taken at WVU or in transient.
  • Transfer students need to have earned a 2.0 GPA at their institution of origin to be eligible for admission at WVU.   Individual programs may require a higher transfer GPA and/or other prerequisites for admittance as noted in the University catalog.  Any remedial courses, or courses taken from a non-regionally accredited institution, that have been included in the grade point average of the institution of origin will be removed before consideration for admission to a program.
  • Upon matriculation to WVU, transfer students holding an Associate of Arts (A.A.) or Associate of Science (A.S.) degree from a regionally accredited institution shall be deemed as having satisfied the WVU general education requirement.  While WVU does accept domestic A.A./A.S. degrees for completion of the general education requirement at WVU, it does not accept A.A./A.S. degrees from foreign institutions as meeting the requirements for general education completion.

Rules Governing Transient Work

  • Approved transient courses will be assigned a WVU subject code, course number, grade, and credits and recorded on the student’s transcript.  Unapproved transient courses will be assigned a grade and credits, but will not be translated into an equivalent WVU course.
  • All grades received in transient courses, including Fs, will be recorded on the WVU transcript and factored into the WVU GPA.  If necessary, international transient courses will be translated to American standard grades and credits before being recorded on the transcript.
  • Only students in good academic standing can bring transient credit to the institution.
  • As of the Summer 2019 term, a student who has matriculated at WVU may take a maximum of eighteen (18) credit hours in transient, no more than nine (9) hours of which may be used to fulfill the major requirements indicated in the university catalog.  Courses taken through study abroad, the military, or at other WVU system campuses are exempt from the 18/9 restriction.
  • Receiving WVU credit for transient work may violate the residency requirement and render the student ineligible for graduation.
  • Courses completed in residence may not be repeated at another school for degree credit via the transient process.
  • Students must have completed the required WVU prerequisites to take a course for transient credit or receive WVU credit for a course.
  • A student with extraordinary documented circumstances may appeal a decision regarding transfer or transient credit to the appropriate dean.


  • Prospective domestic and international transfer students will work through the TESS system to have their coursework reviewed and evaluated.  Determining course equivalencies, retroactive evaluation of open credit courses, and requesting an appeal will follow the appropriate workflow.  Once transfer coursework has posted to the WVU transcript, students will work with their departmental adviser to select courses for their first semester at West Virginia University and have their advising hold lifted.
  • Transient students should work closely with their adviser before they take a course at another institution with the intent of posting the course to their WVU transcript.  Detailed instructions for initiating the transient request process can be found at the transfer and transient resource page on the Office of Undergraduate Affairs web page.  
    • The transient process should be completed before registering and paying tuition at another institution. Retroactive transient is strongly discouraged and is done at the student’s own risk.
    • Students should meet with their adviser to discuss the appropriateness of the courses they are planning to transfer and to be informed of the policies governing transient credits.
    • Requests for transient credit must be submitted through the transient application and approved by the advisor and appropriate dean.
    • If the course(s) a student plans to take at another domestic or international institution is not already articulated in the TESS system, the student is responsible for submitting all necessary information required for review through the TESS portal.

Back To Top

Credit Residence Requirements

Candidates for an undergraduate degree from the West Virginia University System should plan to complete at least 30 their final 36 credit hours in residence. Students who do not complete 30 of the final 36 credit hours in residence must complete a minimum of 90 total credit hours in residence to earn a WVU degree. Individual colleges, schools, or departments might have additional residence requirements as part of their degree or major requirements. Students should consult their respective academic unit with questions regarding specific degree or major residence requirements. Transfer coursework (excluding coursework transferred between WVU Morgantown, WVU Keyser and WVU Beckley) is excluded from WVU residence credit. WVU administered credit by examination, placement credit, study abroad credit, military credit and experiential learning credit will not interrupt the final 30 credit hours in residence if earned during this period.

Note: Resident credit hours are not synonymous with West Virginia State residency definitions for tuition purposes.

Back To Top

Credit Validation

Students seeking to complete an undergraduate degree after a significant break in enrollment may be asked to retake certain upper-division courses in their major to validate their subject knowledge (or otherwise demonstrate mastery). This requirement to re-enroll or demonstrate subject mastery in a course is at the discretion of the department chair and dean.

All prior coursework completed at WVU will be factored into the student's institutional GPA.  Coursework deemed to be insufficient to meet current course standards may be treated as elective credit but will not satisfy major requirements (as allowed by the student's academic major).  Transfer coursework will be evaluated per the university's transfer policy.

Back To Top

West Virginia Reverse Transfer Program

Students who have completed 15 college credits or more at Potomac State College may apply college - level, degree- applicable, transferable credits subsequently earned at any West Virginia public institution toward an Associate Degree at Potomac State College. All General Requirements for Graduation at Potomac State College must be met. Students are not eligible for participation in WVRT if they currently possess an associate degree or higher, however, a student may be simultaneously awarded an associate degree through WVRT and a baccalaureate degree.

Back To Top

Second Associate Degree

A student who has received one associate degree and wishes to receive a second associate degree must satisfactorily complete enough additional credits so that the total, including all acceptable credits earned at WVU  Potomac State College and elsewhere, is at least 15 unique semester hours more than the number required for the first associate degree. All requirements, core and otherwise, of the second associate degree program must be satisfied. A second associate degree cannot be awarded to a student who has not met the WVU Potomac State College residency requirements.

Back To Top

Withholding Information

It is the policy of WVU Potomac State College to place restriction on students who have outstanding debts to a unit or units of the College. The restriction may include, but is not limited to, the withholding of a student's registration, diploma, or transcript.

WVU Potomac State College will not issue a diploma or a transcript to any student until payment of all tuition, fees, and other indebtedness to any unit of the College is made.

Back To Top