• Qualifications
  • When to Apply
  • How to Obtain an Enrollment Application
  • Veterans Affairs Office
  • Transient Students
  • Readmission
  • Academic Forgiveness Policy
  • Immunization Requirements
  • Change of Address
  • Non-Degree
  • PSC Transient Students


  • Freshman
  • GED Graduates
  • Advanced Placement Program (AP)
  • College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
  • High School Early Start Program
  • High School Juniors


  • Intrauniversity Transfers
  • Transfer Students
  • Evaluation of Transfer Credit
  • Transfer Credit Appeal Process


  • International Student Admission
  • Required Academic Credentials
  • English Language Proficiency
  • Financial Documents and Student Visa
  • Immunization Requirements

In this section:


WVU Potomac State College is an open admissions institution for West Virginia residents. The principle qualifications for admission are graduation from an accredited high school or high school equivalent diploma through the General Equivalency Degree (GED) tests. Applicants are encouraged to submit ACT or SAT scores, which are used for placement purposes. If space is limited, the better prepared students are admitted.

WVU Potomac State College enrolls a diverse student population. While preference is given to West Virginia residents, qualified students from other states and countries are encouraged to apply. The College is committed to ensuring that all persons, including women, people of color, persons with disabilities, veterans, and persons of different religions, sexual orientations, ages, and international, ethnic, and economic backgrounds have the opportunity to benefit from the programs and services the College offers.

Back To Top

When to Apply

Students are admitted on a rolling basis beginning August 1. First-time college applicants may apply any time after the beginning of their senior year of high school or after the applicant has successfully completed an equivalent diploma through the General Equivalency Degree (GED) tests. All credentials in support of an application should be submitted to the Office of Enrollment Services at least 15 days prior to the beginning date of the semester for which the applicant is applying.

Back To Top

How to Obtain an Enrollment Application

Applications can be found online at:

Applications are also available through the Office of Enrollment Services:

WVU Potomac State College
Office of Enrollment Services
75 Arnold Street
Keyser, WVU 26726
(800) 262-7332   (304) 788-6820

Back To Top


The Office of Enrollment Services offers counseling and assistance to veterans who are either enrolled or contemplating college enrollment.  Information about the various forms of aid for veterans may be obtained from the Office of Enrollment Services, 75 Arnold Street, Keyser, WV 26726; phone (304) 788- 6820; e- mail:

Back To Top

Visiting Students Coming to WVU Potomac State College

Individuals who desire to enroll as transient students may do so upon submission of a letter of good standing from the institution that was last attended or an official transcript from that institution. An application for admission must also be submitted.

Back To Top


If a student leaves the College for at least one complete semester, an application for readmission must be submitted to the Office of Enrollment Services. Decisions on readmission are based on the student's academic standing.

If another institution(s) was attended, readmission will be based on the WVU academic standing along with academic credit earned at any other institution after leaving WVU. In order to be readmitted, a student must obtain an overall grade point average of 2.0 at all institutions attended since leaving WVU or attain a combined overall grade point average of 2.0 from all institutions attended including WVU.

See Academic Suspension Regulations in the Academic Affairs section.

Back To Top

Academic Forgiveness Policy

WVU may provide academic forgiveness to some undergraduate students who were not successful in their first attempt at higher education at all West Virginia University locations.


  • Students who have attended an accredited U.S. college or university cannot have been enrolled at any higher education institution for at least four calendar years.
  • Students will receive credit hours for all courses completed with a grade of D- or higher during any enrollment period. While all grades remain on the student's transcript, no grades (A through F) earned during any prior enrollment period will be counted in the grade point average calculation.
  • After forgiveness is granted, students must meet all WVU graduation requirements for their program. Students must and complete at least 15 credits toward the Associate’s degree with a maximum of 3 credits pass/fail. Students must complete at least 30 credits must be completed towards the Bachelor’s degree with at least 15 of those in the major and a maximum of 6 credits my be pass/fail, .
  • Academic forgiveness granted at any West Virginia University location is honored at all West Virginia University locations.


  • Students must complete the Academic Forgiveness form (available at and provide any requested documentation.
  • Students applying for Academic Forgiveness must meet with an academic advisor within the academic department they plan to enter. 
  • The form must be approved by the appropriate Dean or designee of the intended academic major and the Associate Provost for Undergraduate Academic Affairs or designee, who makes the final decision.

Back To Top

Immunization Requirements

To ensure the health and safety of our campus, immunization against communicable diseases is extremely important. Documentation of immunizations must be submitted to the Office of Enrollment Services prior to enrollment. Requirements for immunizations are posted on the College web site at:

Back To Top

Change of Address

The address that students submit on their application for admission to WVU Potomac State College is the permanent address that the College uses to mail important documents and information to the respective students.

Students are responsible for notifying the College of any change in their permanent addresses. In order to change an address, students must obtain an Address Update Form from the Office of Enrollment Services and submit the completed form to the same office. Students may also update their address online via the portal. Click on the Personal Information link.

Back To Top


An individual who wishes to take courses but does not plan to be a degree candidate will be classified as a non-degree student. Non-degree students are limited to part -time enrollment and may not register for more than 11 credit hours in any semester or 5 credit hours in any summer term. If at a later date, the student intends to work towards a degree, the student may apply for admission and submit all of the required documents. The student may apply previous satisfactorily completed course work toward the degree.

Back To Top

PSC Transient Students

In order to take a course or courses at another college or university, a student must complete a Transient Credit Application, which can be found at: To receive such approval, a student must have an overall 2.0 grade point average. All approved college-level work is accepted for transfer from accredited institutions, provided the above requirements have been met. To view a list of schools and courses already reviewed, visit In addition, an official transcript must be received by the Office of Enrollment Services before any coursework can be counted toward degree requirements. Students cannot choose to transfer courses based on the grades earned. All courses from the institution(s) will be transferred.

International students going to their home country for transient study must complete the same Transient Credit Application. Credit only (not grades) will be transferred to WVU from an international institution.

Back To Top

In this section:


  • Complete an application for admission.
  • Submit an official copy of high school transcript. If the applicant is still completing high school, an official high school transcript for the classes completed so far should be submitted. In addition, the final high school transcript verifying graduation must be submitted when available.
  • Submit official copies of ACT or SAT scores, if available. ACT/SAT scores are not used for admission but are used for placement into Math and English courses.
  • Provide proof of immunizations. Immunization requirements are listed at

Back To Top

GED Graduates

If you have completed a General Equivalency Degree (GED) with an average standard score of 2250 (450) or above, you should request that the State Department of Education mail copies of your scores to the Office of Enrollment Services. Also, request that the high school you last attended send a copy of your transcript to WVU Potomac State College, listing the coursework you completed.

Beginning January 2014, the West Virginia Department of Education began to use the Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC) exam in place of the GED. The GED will continue to be accepted for students who took the GED prior to January 2014 or from a state that does not administer the TASC exam. Those students passing the TASC will need to submit their “State of West Virginia High School Equivalency Diploma.” A high school transcript must also be mailed to the Office of Enrollment Services. More information about the TASC exam can be found at

Beginning January, 2016, the West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission also approved the use of High School Equivalency Test (HiSET). More information about the HiSET exam can be found at

Back To Top

Advanced Placement Program (AP)

WVU Potomac State College encourages students to work to their full capacity and to earn their degree at their own learning speed. As a high school junior or senior, students can take college-level courses at their school through Advanced Placement courses. Administered by the College Board, Advanced Placement examinations verify if a student has earned competency equal to that of a college course. The WVU Office of Admissions' Advanced Placement chart available at shows the subject areas and necessary test scores needed to earn PSC/WVU equivalent courses. In order to receive Advanced Placement credit, official scores must be sent to the PSC Office of Enrollment Services.

Back To Top

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

If a student has gained a significant level of maturity through life experiences, he or she may receive college credit for those educationally-related experiences through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) of the College Board. With the exception of English composition, up to thirty- five hours of general education or elective credit may be earned for successful performance on the CLEP general examinations. Although this program was designed primarily for adults, exceptionally well-qualified high school seniors may use the CLEP program. The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) Chart available at indicates the areas in which PSC/WVU grants credit based on the minimum score required.

Students must be enrolled at PSC in order to receive credit from the institution. Students who have taken CLEP examinations prior to enrollment must submit an official CLEP transcript. Veterans may receive advanced placement for specific military experience and should contact the Office of Admissions for specific information.

Back To Top

Active Military Service Credit

A student with at least one year of active military service may receive college-level credit by submitting a copy of his or her DD214 or a Sailor/Marine/ACE Registry Transcript (SMART) or Army/ACE Registry Transcript System (AARTS) transcript.

Back To Top

International Baccalaureate (IB)

WVU Potomac State College welcomes applications from students who have attended high schools that offer the international baccalaureate program. Credit given varies with level (standard or higher) and with score. The chart can be found at:

Back To Top

ACCESS/Early Start Program

Academically talented high school students who have completed their junior year with a 3.0 GPA may be admitted to take college courses before high school graduation. Students seeking admission into WVU Potomac State College's High School Early Start Program must meet the following criteria:

  1. Have completed the junior year of high school and obtain permission from the high school counselor or principal.
  2. Have an overall grade point average of B (3.00) or better for all high school work, unless supporting data, recommendations and conferences indicate that a student's potential for success warrants reconsideration.
  3. Submit a completed application for admission and an official high school transcript. Extenuating circumstances may exist wherein the principal and/or student may ask for reconsideration. In such cases, the decision to admit will be made by the Academic Dean and the Director of Enrollment Services.

ACCESS/High School Juniors

High School Juniors may be admitted to selected college courses offered at high school locations provided the following criteria be met:

  1. Students must have a 3.5 GPA for all high school work completed at time admission into college courses is sought.
  2. Student must have a written recommendation from his or her principal or guidance counselor.
  3. Student must have written permission from his or her parent(s) or legal guardian(s) to take college courses.
  4. Submit a completed application for admission and an official high school transcript.

Back To Top

In this section:

Change of Campus Students from Other WVU Campuses

Students enrolled at WVU-Morgantown or WVU Institute of Technology must complete a Change of Campus form to transfer to the Keyser campus. The form can be found at: WVU Potomac State College admission requirements must be met.

Back To Top

Transfer Students

We welcome transfer students who have completed post-secondary studies at a regionally accredited college or institution. Admissibility of students who wish to transfer from another college or university to WVU Potomac State College will be determined upon receipt of the documents listed below:

  • Completed application for admission.
  • Official transcripts from all previously attended colleges and universities. (Transcripts issued to the student or a facsimile “fax” transcript are not considered official.)
  • Provided that the student meets the academic eligibility requirements as a returning student at the previous institution.

Credits and grades for college-level courses completed at any institution in the West Virginia state system of higher education may be transferable toward an associate degree. For institutions outside the West Virginia system and West Virginia private colleges and universities, beginning spring 2012, grades and credits are transferable for college-level courses. In all cases, the application of transfer credit toward completion of degree is determined by the College upon enrollment.

If the applicant has fewer than 12 transferable hours of college credit, then the applicant must meet the freshman admission requirements. All credentials in support of an application should be submitted to the Office of Enrollment Services at least 15 days prior to the beginning of the semester for which the applicant is applying.

ACT or SAT scores may be used for placement purposes in math and English.

Back To Top

Evaluation of Transfer Credit

Credits and grades for college-level courses completed at any institution of higher education may be transferable towards an associate degree or certificate. All colleges must be accredited by the Higher Learning Commission for the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools or by other regional accrediting associations accepted by WVU Potomac State College. Please consult the West Virginia Core Coursework Transfer Agreement at for information on the state policy on general studies credit to all other state institutions of higher education in West Virginia for credit with the grade earned.

Back To Top

Transfer Credit Appeal Process

Students who transfer credits to WVU Potomac State College may appeal decisions on how credits were evaluated. Students opting to appeal a transfer evaluation must appeal to the Office of Enrollment Services within one semester of the transfer. Appeals should be made in writing and provide syllabi or other supporting documents. The Office of Enrollment Services will review the appeal and make any technical corrections to work evaluated as needed. If the Office of Enrollment Services finds no technical error in how the credit was evaluated, the student's appeal and syllabi will be forwarded to the respective division chair through which the course or similar course is offered and reviewed by the division chair or the chair’s designee for a determination. If it is determined the course in question is not equivalent to an existing course, the appeal will be denied. If the appeal is denied, the student may appeal to the Dean of Academic Affairs. The Dean will convene a panel of faculty members to review the appeal. This panel will decide to either uphold the transfer evaluation as it stands or direct that the evaluation be changed. The Dean will notify all parties to the outcome of the process within 60 days of receipt of the appeal by the Office of Enrollment Services.

Students who wish to appeal the decision of the faculty panel may contact the West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission. The Commission will review the request and make a recommendation to the President of the College.

Back To Top

In this section:

International Student Admission

WVU Potomac State College is authorized under Federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students. International students wishing to enroll at WVU Potomac State College must comply with the stated academic requirements for admission and with certain additional academic and non-academic requirements.

Applicants must submit the following:

  • Completed application for admission
  • Results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS). TOEFL results must be sent to WVU Potomac State College directly from the Educational Testing Service (ETS) and the IELTS results must be sent directly from the University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate.
  • Original or certified copies of an official academic record in original language of issue.
  • Original or certified copies of all certificates or diplomas in original language of issue.
  • Official English translations of academic record and certificates/diplomas.
  • For visa documents: certification of financial support and a copy of current passport or visa
  • Provide proof of immunization

Back To Top

Required Academic Credentials

Applicants must submit academic records from all secondary and post -secondary institutions attended regardless of whether grades were issued or credit was received. Potomac State requires that original or certified copies of the original academic documents from non-United States institutions be submitted. The required documents include the official academic record (showing course titles, dates taken, and grades received), and diploma(s) or certificate(s) showing degree awarded. These documents must be in the original language of issue. Official English translations must be included. Translations must be literal, word-for-word translations, and must indicate actual grades received, not an interpretation of the grades. Applicants who have studied in the United States are required to have the institution(s) in the U.S. send the official transcript directly to Potomac State.

To expedite the application process, it is strongly recommended that all undergraduate students (both freshmen and transfer) who have attended high school, post-secondary educational institutions, colleges or universities, outside the United States, use World Education Service (WES) to complete the required professional credential evaluation of all academic work completed. A “detailed” or “course-by-course” evaluation, including a calculated grade point average (GPA), and WES certified copies of official documents are required for all work completed in a country other than the United States.

Transcripts, mark sheets, grade report examination results and degree certificates from all previously attended institutions should be sent to:

World Education Services (WES) Bowling Green Station
P.O. Box 5087
New York, NY 10274-5087

Sending credentials to WES will result in a faster evaluation; however, there is a fee associated with the evaluation. Credentials submitted directly to Potomac State College will take longer to evaluate, and there is no guarantee as to the length of time it may require.

Once credentials have been submitted to WES for evaluation, any inquiries regarding the evaluation can be sent to:

Back To Top

English Language Proficiency

All applicants whose native language is not English must provide proof of English language proficiency. WVU uses the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) as the measure of English language proficiency. A score of 500 on the paper-based TOEFL, or 61 on the internet-based TOEFL, or 6.0 on the IELTS is the minimum required of all such undergraduate applicants . Applicants must make arrangements to take the TOEFL/IELTS well in advance of the desired date of enrollment at WVU. Information about registration for the TOEFL can be obtained by writing to: Educational Testing Service , P.O. Box 6151, Princeton, NJ 08541-6151, USA , or by contacting the local office of the United States Information Service (USIS). Information about registration for IELTS can be obtained by accessing the IELTS website at

TOEFL results are not required for applicants who have received a high school diploma and have obtained the required ACT /SAT test scores or a bachelor 's degree from schools in the United States.

In some cases, SAT Reading or ACT English test scores may be used to meet English proficiency. A passing grade in the subject of English on the IGCSE or GCSE certificates from Cambridge International will be accepted for English proficiency.

Applicants who have completed English composition courses which are equivalent to WVU's ENGL 101 and ENGL 102 with a "B" average at a United States institution are not required to submit TOEFL/IELTS scores. Many online English composition courses are not considered equivalent and will require review and approval from the English department.

Back To Top

Financial Documents and Student Visa

International students requiring a form I-20 for student visa must provide certification of adequate financial resources. Generally, the student is required to provide an official bank statement showing the availability of the appropriate funds. If a private sponsor will be the student’s source of support, the sponsor must submit a letter showing intent to sponsor and an official bank statement showing the availability of the appropriate funds. Other forms of support could include sponsorship certification from the student’s government or sponsoring agency. In all cases, original or certified copies of financial/sponsorship documents must be submitted before the I-20 can be issued.

Back To Top

Immunization Requirements

To ensure the health and safety of our campus, immunization against communicable diseases is extremely important. Documentation of immunizations must be submitted to the Office of Enrollment Services prior to enrollment. Requirements for immunizations are posted on the College web site at:

Back To Top