• What academic honors can I earn while in law school?

See 'Academic Policies & Procedure - Honors' of the College of Law catalog for additional information.

  • What does it mean to be on academic probation?

See 'Academic Policies & Procedure - Academic Standing - Academic Probation & Dismissal' section of the College of Law catalog.

  • What student organizations can I join at the law school?

Many College of Law organizations welcome all students who are interested, while others require students to be elected or chosen.  See ' Student Organizations, Guidelines, and Services - College of Law Organizations - Recognized College of Law Student Organizations' section of the College of Law catalog or visit the 'Student Organizations' homepage.

  • What is the law school’s grade point average system?

See the 'Academic Policies and Procedure - Grading Information and Procedures - Grades' section of the College of Law catalog.

  • How can I change my address with WVU so I will receive my financial aid check?

Students may change their addresses online via the WVU Portal.  Once there, click on the 'Personal Information' link.  

  • What is Degree Works?

Degree Works is an online audit for students to review and monitor their progress toward degree completion.  It organizes academic coursework into blocks of requirements to help easily identify courses completed and what courses are still needed in order to complete your degree.  For additional information, including how to log in to Degree Works, see the 'Academic Policies and Procedures - Graduation' section of the College of Law catalog.

  • Whom should I see if I have a question regarding academic matters at the College of Law?

For academic matters, please see the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. 

  • Whom should I see if I have a non-academic or personal matter that pertains to my law school experience?

For such matters, see the College of Law's Assistant Dean for Student Life.

  • What is my professor’s phone number, e-mail address, etc.?

See the 'Faculty' link on the College of Law homepage.  Many professors also list their contact information on their class syllabi.

  • Whom do I call if I am sick and must miss class?

See the 'Academic Policies and Procedures - Academic Policies - Missing Class Due to Illness' section of the College of Law catalog.  Also, for treatment information, see the 'Student Organizations and Services - University Services - Health Services' section of the College of Law catalog.

  • What are midterm and/or final exam numbers?

Midterm and final exam numbers are assigned to students each semester by the Assistant Registrar for the College of Law.  In many classes, these numbers are used on papers and exams in place of student names so that the professors can grade anonymously.  Students are routinely notified of information concerning midterm exam and final exam numbers each semester.

  • If I'm traveling for competitions with the College of Law, what do I do?

If the completion has been approved as part of the student organization's budget, then check with the Assistant Dean for Student Life.  Student travel expenses must be approved in advance in order to be reimbursed.

  • How do I register for classes?

Registration for classes occurs in STAR.  Students are routinely notified of information concerning registration each semester.  For additional information, please review the Student Services Guide, located on the College of Law website on the 'Course Schedule and Registration Information' link under the 'Academics' tab.

  • Where can I find guidance about choosing courses?

The College of Law J.D. curriculum is separated into required courses and electives courses.  For required courses, see 'Academic Programs - Doctor of Jurisprudence - First-Year Curriculum & Required Courses after the First-Year Curriculum.'  For elective courses, the College of Law publishes a 'Curriculum Opportunities and Options' guide.  This guide organizes courses into specific career tracks.

  • When are classes canceled, and how do I find out?

It is rare that the College of Law will cancel classes or activities due to weather or other events.  Decisions regarding class cancellations are made at the university level by the Provost's Office.  In the event classes are canceled or delayed because of weather or other reasons, the university will issue a notice by morning.  If you receive no notice, assume that there are no cancellations for that day.  Sign up to receive these notices via phone by going to the 'WVU Alert' homepage.

  • Where can I find the Code of Professional Responsibility (Honor Code)?

See the 'Professional Responsibility - WVU College of Law Student Code of Professional Responsibility' section of the College of Law catalog.

  • Where can I find out about careers, jobs, and summer internships?

See the 'Student Organizations and Services - College of Law Services - Meredith Career Services Center' section of the College of Law catalog or visit the College of Law's Meredith Career Services Center homepage.

  • What do I need to do in my 3L year to apply to take the bar exam the following summer?

No later than the beginning of the fall of your 3L year, visit the bar examiners' homepage in the state where you plan to practice.  The application must be started and finished in a timely manner to be able to take the exam in the summer.  Some applications are due in the fall of the 3L year.  The application to practice includes a character and fitness review. Contact the Director of the Academic Excellence Center for more information. 

  • What do I need to do in my 3L year to prepare to take the bar exam?

(1) Take the Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam (MPRE) in the spring of second year or fall of 3L year (after you have taken the class in Professional Responsibility), (2) determine what is going to be on your state's July exam, (3) explore early and summer prep programming that will prepare you for that exam (e.g. classes at the law school and state-specific commercial programming for the summer) and (4) connect wit the Academic Excellence Center.  In short, choose a program of preparation, and realize that your program of preparation could begin as early as the 6th semester of law school if you choose to participate in the school's early-start bar preparation class. Contact the Director of the Academic Excellence Center for more information. 

  • Upon graduation, how do I assure that I pass the exam the first time I take it in July? 

The College of Law strongly urges students to focus on and complete the summer bar exam preparation program of your choosing.  Do not work unless it is absolutely necessary because studying for the exam is a full-time job.