Graduate Certificate in Media Solutions & Innovation
Certificate Code - CG70
The Media Solutions & Innovation certificate is offered exclusively online with no on-campus classroom attendance required.
The Media Solutions & Innovation certificate intends to prepare students to become media strategists and futurists who can function as change agents and adaptive leaders within the industry. This certificate program helps students learn about the disruptions in the media industry and how to build industry partners to assist in research and development, discovery, and creating targeted solution pathways to address some of the most challenging media problems.
The program is taught by a diverse faculty who are recognized leaders in their fields.
The program’s academic year consists of five accelerated terms corresponding to the University’s existing parts of term: Early Fall (August–October), Late Fall (October–December), Early Spring (January–March), Late Spring (March–May) and Summer (May–July).
|Minimum GPA of 2.75 is required.|
|Minimum grade of C- required in all courses providedthat a cumulative 2.75 GPA is maintained.|
|MDIA 614||Audience Development||3|
|MDIA 618||Community Journalism||3|
|MDIA 620||Next Gen News Analytics||3|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Product Development for Newsrooms|
|Community Based Field Experience|
|Early Fall Term||One of:||3|
|MDIA 614||3||Early Spring Term:|
|Late Fall Term|
|MDIA 618||3||Late Spring Term:|
|Total credit hours: 12|
Certificate Learning Outcomes
Media Solutions and Innovation
- Understand the basic principles of innovation theories as applied to media practice.
- Understand current and emerging technology and digital platforms and their implications for media practice.
- Understand problems in law and ethics in media practice related to new technology.
- Solve problems in content acquisition and creation in media production using new technology.
- Solve problems in audience development, monetization and distribution using new technology.
- Practice advanced project management across diverse teams in media organizations.
- Produce innovative media products using advanced digital storytelling techniques such as Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, Artificial Intelligence, and other interactive media.
- Design and conduct research to solve current and emerging industry problems.
- Communicate key insights and forecasting data regarding adoption of new technology and new digital practice to decision makers.
- Explain how media organizations use current methods such as social media, mobile-first content, algorithms, AI and ‘bots’, and a range of industry-standard analytics tools to conduct audience-building.