- Master of Science
Nature of the Program
This is an entirely web-based course-work only asynchronous degree program. The program graduates will build upon their prior engineering education and/or professional experience, to strengthen their ability to effectively manage business operations, projects, and teams. They will apply specialized knowledge to address contemporary professional challenges and solve complex operational problems to improve the business processes, with many emerging as the leaders of tomorrow by practicing holistic learning on a continual basis to acquire skills that are necessary to promote innovation, creative solutions, and diversity.
- Applicants must have earned a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better (out of a possible 4.0)
- Applicants with a cumulative grade point average of less than 3.00 may be considered for admission if they have at least two years of professional experience
- Bachelor of Science degree from an engineering department, or from physics, chemistry, computer sciences, mathematics, or a similar technical or science program. In general, a degree in one of the “hard” science programs is required with at least two years of calculus or equivalent mathematics
- Applicants must submit official transcripts of all previous college coursework
- Applicants must submit a statement of purpose explaining the role that the MSEM degree would play in their long-term career aspirations
- Applicants must submit a detailed resume to highlight prior education and professional experience
- Applicants must submit at least two letters of recommendation
Admission Requirements 2023-2024
The admission requirements above will be the same for the 2023-2024 academic year.
Major Code: 3004
Curriculum in Masters of Science in Engineering Management
A candidate for the M.S. degree in Engineering Management must comply with the rules and regulations as outlined in the WVU Graduate Catalog and the specific requirements of the Statler College and the Industrial and Management Systems Engineering Department.
This is an online coursework only M.S. degree. All M.S. degree candidates are required to follow a planned program of study. The student’s advisor, in conjunction with the student’s Advising and Examining Committee (AEC) will be responsible for determining the plan of study appropriate to the student’s needs. The underlying principle of the planned program is to provide the students with the necessary support to complete their degrees and prepare them for their careers.
|A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 is required in all courses|
|A minimum of 60% of courses must be from 500 level or above|
|EMGT 501||Intro to Engineering and Systems Management||3|
|EMGT 502||Quality Management||3|
|EMGT 503||Project Management||3|
|EMGT 504||Operations and Supply Chain Management||3|
|EMGT 511||Analytics for Decision Making||3|
|EMGT 513||Managerial Accounting/Financial Analytics||3|
|EMGT 521||Strategic Engineering Management||3|
|EMGT 522||New Product and Service Development||3|
|Elective Courses (Select two from the following):||6|
Lean Six Sigma
Machine Learning for Business Analytics
Any BIOM, BMEG, CE, CHE, CHEM, CPE, CS, EE, IENG, IH&S, MAE, MATH, MINE, PNGE, PHYS, SAFM, SENG, or STAT courses 400-795 as approved by the student's AEC
Suggested Plan of Study
The typical MSEM degree program that completes degree requirements in one and half years is as follows.
|EMGT 501||3||EMGT 503||3||Elective Course||3|
|EMGT 502||3||EMGT 504||3|
|EMGT 511||3||EMGT 522||3|
|Total credit hours: 30|
Major Learning Outcomes
- Build upon their prior engineering education and professional experience, to strengthen their ability to effectively manage teams, projects, and business operations;
- Apply specialized knowledge to address contemporary professional challenges and solve complex operational problems to improve business operations and processes;
- Develop leadership skills that are necessary to promote innovation, creative solutions, and diversity in technology and knowledge-driven settings.
After graduation from the WVU MSEM program, students will be able to be promoted to higher levels of leadership and responsibility within their organization, pursue further higher education opportunities, or launch a new venture as an entrepreneur.