Department website: https://leadershipstudies.wvu.edu/
Nature of the Program
Effective leadership may be the most critical component of a fruitful and sustained human society or organization. Though related to effective management and administration, effective leadership requires a different and more strategically applied skill set and a larger, longer term perspective and sense of context.
WVU’s Graduate Certificate in Leadership is the first of its kind in the state of West Virginia. It offers working professionals innovative, research-driven courses with practical applications that will prepare you for the next stage of your career. If you entered the workforce before having the opportunity to take courses in leadership, our graduate certificate will meet your needs. Offered entirely online, our program provides a flexible curriculum that can be completed in as little as one year.
Students in the WVU Leadership Program are part of a community that is committed to helping them develop through hands-on experiences and academic opportunities. The faculty, staff, and partners extend beyond the traditional boundaries of the classroom and academic departments. The faculty who teach reflect this mix of scholarship in the field and real-world experience as leaders. In addition to passion and discipline, our program cultivates competent, confident and conscientious citizens.
Our courses will equip you to enhance leadership capacity at work and in your daily life, manage conflict and change, analyze organizational ethics and leadership practices, assess a variety of leadership types and approaches, and critique the role of leadership in shaping organizational culture and climate.
Students will study, practice, and understand leadership in a global context. Graduates will demonstrate knowledge of leadership theories and approaches, apply leadership approaches to analyze and evaluate ethical leadership practices, and exercise the skills essential to effective leadership in the classroom and through real-world cases. They will also explore how identity and culture impact leadership in the United States and abroad.
- Lisa DeFrank-Cole
- Apply with the online Graduate Application
- Pay graduate application fee
- Write and submite a one-page (250 words) personal statement on why you wish to pursue this certificate
- Request official transcripts from all institutions attended (other than WVU) and sent to:
WVU Office of Graduate Admissions
One Waterfront Place
PO Box 6510
Transcripts can be sent electronically to GraduateAdmissions@mail.wvu.edu
For questions, please contact:
Lisa DeFrank-Cole, Ed.D.
Director and Professor, Leadership Studies
Graduate Certificate in Leadership
CERTIFICATE CODE - CG43
|LDR 501||Advanced Leadership Theory and Practice||3|
|LDR 551||Advanced Problems in Leadership||3|
|LDR 601||Applied Leadership in the Workplace||3|
|Leadership in Contemporary Organizations|
|Intersections in Leadership|
Women and Leadership
Leading Social Change
Certificate Learning Outcomes
Students completing this graduate certificate will have proven competencies in the following:
- Examining a variety of leadership theories and approaches.
- Analyzing ethical considerations in leadership practices.
- Critiquing environments (based on race, class, gender, etc.) and how leaders and followers interact.
- Synthesizing applicable leadership skills that can be used in professional, political and civic settings.
- Applying outcomes/simulations where leaders, followers and context are all incorporated to manage conflict and change.