Students will form a Plan of Study committee and have their Plan of Study approved by March 1 of their first year in the program. This Plan of Study will outline all of the courses needed to complete the requirements for the M.S. in Sport and Exercise Psychology (if necessary) and the M.A. in Counseling as well as the Ph.D in Sport and Exercise Psychology as both Masters degrees are required to earn the Ph.D.
|A minimum GPA of 3.0 is required for graduation.|
|SEP 719||Social and Psychological Foundations of Performance *||3|
|SEP 720||Psychological Sport Performance Enhancement *||3|
|SEP 721||Counseling College Student-Athletes *||3|
|SEP 722||Exercise and Health Psychology *||3|
|EPID 766||Physical Activity Epidemiology||3|
|SEP 723||Psychological Aspects of Sport Injury||3|
|SEP 727||Ethical/Legal Issues in sport Psychology||3|
|Professional Practice Core|
|Teaching Practicum (Repeated)|
|SEP 686||Internship in Sport and Exercise Psychology||6|
|SEP 647||Supervision Sport Psychology||3|
|Statistics/Research Design Disciplinary Core|
|EDP 614||Statistical Methods 2||3|
|Advisor Approved Introductory Graduate-level course in Research Methods||3|
|EDP 711||Multivariate Methods 1||3|
|Research Practice Core|
|or SEP 797||Research|
|Master of Science in Sport and Exercise Psychology||36|
|Master of Arts in Counseling or related field (credits determined by MA program)|
|Research Publication Requirement|
Submit 2 data-based articles for publication in peer-reviewed journal
Submit an additional article (literature review or data-based) for publication in a peer-reviewed journal or present a data-based study at a national conference (published abstract)
Major Learning Outcomes
Sport and Exercise Psychology
The goal of the program is for students to graduate with the essential skills and knowledge necessary to prepare them to immediately begin a career in the field of sport and exercise psychology.
- Content Knowledge - Students will demonstrate knowledge and disciplinary concepts related to sport and exercise psychology.
- Reflection and Critical Thinking - Students will demonstrate reflection and critical thinking in order to refine professional knowledge and practice.
- Programming and Assessment - Students will demonstrate evidence-based knowledge and skills (and best practices) for assessing needs and for designing, implementing and evaluating performance enhancement skills across domains.
- Professionalism and Ethics - Students will demonstrate professional behaviors, including commitment to excellence, valuing diversity and collaboration, service to others, and techniques for lifelong learning.
- Technology - Students will be able to demonstrate the use of different forms of technology to assess skills and provide meaningful feedback.