- Notice to Students Regarding FERPA
- Designation of Directory Information
- Designation of Limited Use Directory Information
- Withholding Directory Information
- Parent/Guest Access to Online Student Records
Students at West Virginia University and its divisional campuses (“WVU” or “University”) benefit from the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. This Act, with which West Virginia University intends to comply fully, was designed to protect the privacy of education records, to establish the right of students to inspect and review their education records, and to provide guidelines for the correction of inaccurate or misleading data through informal and formal hearings. A more detailed explanation of rights afforded to students by FERPA can be found at: http://ferpa.wvu.edu/policy .
WVU designates the following categories of student information as public or “Directory Information.” This information may be disclosed at West Virginia University's discretion for any purpose:
- Name of Student
- Official Address
- Telephone Number
- Place of Birth
- Age of Student
- Names and Addresses of Parents
- Major and Minor Fields of Study
- Class Status (i.e., freshman)
- Enrollment Status (i.e., full time or part time)
- Dates of Attendance
- Previous Educational Institution(s) Attended
- Degree(s) and Date(s) Conferred, including anticipated graduation dates
- Participation in Officially Recognized Activities and Sports
- Weight and Height of Members of Athletic Teams
- Duties and Responsibilities, including Dates of Service, of Graduate Assistants, Student Workers, Interns, or Student Volunteers
WVU designates the following categories of student information as “Limited Use Directory Information:”
- University issued student electronic mail addresses (“Email Addresses”)
- Photographs, videos or other media containing a student’s image or likeness (collectively “Student Images”)
Accordingly, this information will not be provided to external parties not contractually affiliated with the University. Use and disclosure of this information shall be limited to (1) publication on websites hosted by, on behalf of, or for the benefit of the University, including the online directory available at: http://directory.wvu.edu ; (2) those officials within the University who have access, consistent with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, to such information and only in conjunction with an official institutional purpose.
Currently enrolled students, using the official West Virginia University Confidentiality form, may withhold disclosure of Directory Information under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. To withhold disclosure, written notification must be received in the Office of the University Registrar at West Virginia University, PO Box 6878, Morgantown, WV 26506. Official forms requesting the withholding of Directory Information are available in the Office of the Registrar. Such requests will be processed as soon as is practicable upon receipt.
The failure on the part of any student to specifically request, on the official rorm, the withholding of Directory Information indicates individual approval for disclosure. Additionally, a request to withhold Directory Information shall have no effect on previous disclosures, if any, made by WVU before the receipt of a request to withhold Directory Information; nor will a student’s request to withhold Directory Information revoke an otherwise valid written FERPA release already on file with the University.
The Parent/Guest Portal is now the exclusive method by which a University student may grant a third-party access to his or her records. Now, information that is protected from disclosure pursuant to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), such as grades, financial aid details, and student account/billing information is maintained in a secure online environment. A student may grant permission to a parent or guest to access this information and make payments through this portal. Due to the protection of students’ rights under FERPA, a student may restrict the information that a parent or guest is able to access and revoke access at any time.For more information on the Parent/Guest Portal, please visit: http://parent-guest.portal.wvu.edu/ .
For FERPA updates and more information on West Virginia University’s FERPA policy, please visit: http://ferpa.wvu.edu or contact Legal Affairs at: 304.293.5841.