This is an archived copy of the 2013-14 Catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit

How Do I ?

Do the following?

Apply for Academic Leave of Absence

WVU offers undergraduate students in good standing, as defined by WVU’s uniform suspension policy, and not subject to disciplinary action the opportunity to request an academic leave of absence. The academic leave of absence is designed for the student who wishes to be away from his or her academic endeavors at WVU for one or more se­mesters but intends to return at a later date. Leave of absence status must be requested before the beginning of the semester for which the leave is desired. The academic records of students on an academic leave of absence remain in an active status. While on an academic leave of absence, the student retains the right to use certain campus facilities such as the Study Skills Center and Career Services. When a student decides to return to WVU after his or her academic leave of absence, application fees are waived. An overall grade point average of 2.0 on all work attempted while on leave combined with the WVU grade point average is acceptable. While on an academic leave of absence, the student will receive communications from WVU.

Other leaves of absence, such as medical, bereavement, or military leave, may be granted during the semester. Please refer to the Office of the University Registrar’s website for more information.

 Back to Top

Apply for Military Credit/Leave

Awarding Course Credit to Students Called to Serve in the Military (Updated July 28, 2010)

  1. Students who withdraw from the University for military service up to and including the 12th week of the semester will receive a full refund of their fees and be administratively withdrawn from their classes. No course grades or credit will be awarded.
  2. Students who leave the University for military service after the 12th week of the semester should work with the designated contact person in their home college (usually the academic associate/assistant dean). The student may also contact the Office of the University Registrar (304-293-5355). The contact person will assist the student in reviewing the student's eligibility for credit for their courses on a course-by course basis with the instructors.
  3. The contact person will work with the student's instructors to gather grade information for the student. If the course is not in the student's home college, the contact person can work with his/her counterpart in the appropriate college. Several outcomes are possible:
    1. If the course is substantially complete and the student has done passing work, the student should receive the grade earned at that time. It is anticipated that this would be the outcome in the majority of the courses. NOTE: Students who receive orders with suffcient advance notice are expected to notify their professors of their upcoming deployment date and meet with their professors to come to an agreement on what regular course assignments they can reasonably complete prior to the deployment date (the details of this arrangement should be included in a contract initialed by both the instructor and the student; contracts must be placed in the student's file). Students should not be penalized for not completing assignments, quizzes, tests, or exams due after their deployment date.
    2. If a critical competency has yet to be covered in a competency-based course, the instructor should award a grade of "I" and work with the student to develop a plan to complete that critical part of the course. To alleviate confusion at a later date, the plan should be in writing and signed by both the instructor and the student. Students called to active duty for a relatively short duration that includes exam week may arrange for an "I" with provision to make up the final exam after completing the period of duty.
    3. If the student chooses to withdraw from the course. the contact person will work with the appropriate University office to provide an administrative withdrawl.

Leave for Military Drill

Many students at West Virginia University choose to serve in the military while pursuing their degrees. West Virginia University is a "Veteran Friendly" institution and recognizes its obligations to our students who serve in the military. Although there is a University expectation that all students will attend all of their classes, the choice to serve in the military where two week training sessions may be mandatory should not negatively impede academic progress. The following section outlines the appropriate steps to follow should you miss class due to call ups for military service training during a semester. A typical call up is 1-2 weeks.

If you are a student with the potential for being called to military training during the course of the semester or academic year, we recommend that you review the syllabi for specific attendance policies for each course prior to the beginning of every semester. In addition, we strongly encourage you to meet with or have substantial email contact with all of your course professors and/or instructors no later than the Monday of the first week of class in order to address the class attendance policy and the impact a short-term military leave will have on your ability to succeed in the class for the semester. Any agreements between you and your professors should be agreed upon by the end of the first week of class. Share this information with your academic advisor so the appropriate notes are made in DegreeWorks.

In the rare case that an unresolved issue arises due to absences from a course because of military obligation, the West Virginia University process for final grade appeal is outlined under the "Final Grade Appeal Procedures" in the West Virginia University Undergraduate Catalog.

In the spirit of WVU, faculty make every effort to allow students who are members of the Armed forces to make up test and assignments that may be missed during the semester if it can be proven that the student was called up for military training and if missing the coursework will not irreversibly impact the students' ability to master the subject matter in question within the terms of the semester.

Back to Top

Order a Transcript

Official Transcripts

Students can order official transcripts through their MIX account at any time or go to . All orders require a valid e-mail address and a credit/debit card which will be charged by e-Pay West Virginia once the transcript request has been entered and a confirmation number is provided.
Before ordering a transcript, students should log on to their MIX account to ensure that all grades and degree(s) have been posted. Transcript requests are processed im­mediately. They are not held for posting of final grades and/or degrees.
All financial obligations to West Virginia University must be cleared before transcripts can be released. Transcripts may not be picked up by another party unless the student has given written authorization with the request. The designated person will be expected to show a picture I.D. before obtaining the transcript.
A West Virginia University transcript is a complete record of a student’s enrollment at WVU. This includes all undergraduate, graduate, and professional courses. Partial transcripts are not available.

 Back to Top

Withdrawal form the University for the Semester

Withdrawal Policy

There are two types of withdrawals: withdrawal from individual courses for which a student has registered and a complete withdrawal from the University. Deadlines for withdrawals for each semester are available at: . If students follow all established University procedures and withdraw before the published deadline, they will receive a W on their transcript. The grade point average is not affected in any way by this mark. If formal withdrawal procedures are not executed by the student, a failing grade/s will be recorded. It is the student’s responsibility to see that all forms are properly executed and delivered to the appropriate authorities for recording.

Withdrawal/Drop From Individual Classes

Students may drop individual classes within a term based on established deadlines. These deadlines are posted on the Office of the University Registrar’s website. Students, with the help of their academic advisors, are responsible for determining:

  • If their course load would be reduced below the minimum requirement set by their program
  • If their course load would be reduced below the minimum hours required to qualify for a graduate assistantship, financial aid, or international full-time student status
  • If the course to be dropped is a co-requisite for another course the student is taking or a prerequisite for a course required the following semester. The student may be required to drop the co-requisite course or asked to take a substitute course the following semester.

Withdrawal From All Classes for the Term

Students may withdraw from WVU for the term in which they are enrolled at anytime before the last day of classes of the term on which regular classes are scheduled to meet. Students will receive grades of W in all classes for that term.


  1. To withdraw from all classes through the last day to drop a class with a W, a student would log on to their MIX account and drop their classes through STAR.
  2. To withdraw from the term after the last day to drop a class with a W, you may do any of the following:
    1. Visit the Office of the University Registrar.
    2. Send an e-mail from your MIX Account only to . Please include:
      1. Full name
      2. Last four digits of your student identification number
      3. Reason for your withdrawal
      4. Address
      5. Telephone number
    3. Mail a request to: Office of University Registrar, West Virginia University, P.O. Box 6878,  Morgantown, WV 26506. Please Include:
      1. Full name
      2. Student identification number
      3. Reason for your withdrawal
      4. Address
      5. Telephone number
      6. Signature
    4. Fax a request to: (304) 293-8991. Please include:
      1. Full name
      2. Student identification number
      3. Reason for your withdrawal
      4. Address
      5. Telephone number
      6. Signature

Important Notice:  Financial aid recipients who withdraw from all classes before sixty percent of the term is completed may be required to return a portion of any financial aid that was received for the term. Students who do not receive at least one passing grade for classes in a term must provide documentation which verifies continued participation in educational activities. If documentation cannot be provided, those students are considered to have informally withdrawn from WVU prior to sixty percent of the term and may be required to return a portion of any financial aid which was received. This review and return of financial aid is done in accordance with federal regulations.

Re-Enrollment After Withdrawal

After a student withdraws from WVU in two consecutive semesters (excluding sum­mer sessions), a student may not register for further work without approval of the dean of the college or school in which the student wants to register. Enrollment is subject to conditions set by that dean. In the case of a general studies major, the student must seek approval from the director of the University College.

Back to Top

Declare a Minor


Students declare minors once they enter their major fields of study. The following steps should be followed to assure that completion of a minor is appropriately recognized and posted to the student’s transcript:

  1. A student interested in completing a minor (or minors) works with his or her major advisor to incorporate minor requirements into schedule planning. Students are welcome to consult with advisors in the minor department. Students who wish to complete a minor in music, women’s studies, leadership studies, or ROTC must work directly with advisors for those programs.
  2. Complete an Academic Status Update Form with their advisor.
  3. When completing the Application for Graduation, the student indicates the minor(s) for which certification is requested.
  4. The student’s major advisor/major college advisement office certifies that all minor requirements have been completed and reports both major and minor certifications to the Office of the University Registrar on the Tentative Graduation form. Women’s studies and music minors are certified by those programs.   

Note: Minors are only awarded at the time of the conferral of a baccalaureate degree.

Back to Top

File a Final Grade Appeal

Final Grade Appeal Procedures (Not Involving Charges of Academic Dishonesty), including Dismissal from an Academic Program

Students have the right to appeal final course grades which they believe reflect a capricious, arbitrary, or prejudiced academic evaluation, or reflect discrimination based on race, sex, age, handicap, veteran status, religion or creed, sexual orientation, color, or national origin. The grade appealed shall remain in effect until the appeal procedure is completed or the problem resolved. This procedure provides a mechanism whereby a student may appeal a failing grade or a grade low enough to cause the student to be dismissed from some program or to require the repetition of a course. Grade appeals that do not meet this classification are not precluded.

Step 1 - The student shall discuss the complaint with the instructor involved prior to the mid-semester of the succeeding regular semester, whether the student is enrolled or not. If the two parties are unable to resolve the matter satisfactorily, if the instructor is not available, or if the nature of the complaint makes discussion with the instructor inappropri­ate, the student shall notify the chairperson of the instructor’s department or division (or, if none, the dean). The chairperson or dean shall assume the role of an informal facilitator and assist in their resolution attempts. If the problem is not resolved within five academic days from when the complaint is first lodged, the student may proceed directly to Step 2.

Step 2 - The student must prepare and sign a document that states the facts consti­tuting the basis for the appeal within five academic days from when the original complaint was lodged. Copies of this document shall be given to the instructor and to the instructor’s chairperson (or, if none, to the dean). If, within five academic days of receipt of the student’s signed document, the chairperson does not resolve the problem to the satisfaction of the student, the student will forward the complaint to the instructor’s dean (see Step 3).

Step 3 - Within five academic days of receipt of the complaint, the instructor’s dean shall make a determination regarding the grade, making any recommendation for a grade change to the instructor involved. If the instructor involved does not act on the dean’s recommendation, or if the student disagrees with the decision of the dean, the dean will refer the case to a representative committee, appointed by the dean, for final resolution. This committee shall consist of three or more faculty members, including at least one person outside the instructor’s department.

  1.  Upon receiving an appeal, the committee will notify in writing the involved faculty member of the grade challenge that shall include a statement of the facts and evidence to be presented by the student.
  2. The committee shall provide to the faculty member involved and the student making the appeal written notification of their right to appear at a hearing to be held before the department, college, or school representative committee, together with the notice of the date, time, and place of the hearing.
  3. The administrative procedure is not adversarial in nature; the formal rules of evidence do not apply.
  4. The final decision of this committee shall be forwarded to the instructor and to the dean involved. If the decision requires a change of grade, the instructor shall take action in accordance with the committee’s decision.
  5. If the instructor does not act within five academic days, the dean shall make any necessary grade adjustment.
  6. In the case of grade appeals, the dean functions as the president’s designee; therefore, implementation of this decision shall end the appeal procedure.

Back to Top