Notice to Students Regarding FERPA
Students at West Virginia University and its divisional campuses (“WVU” or “University”) benefit from the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. This Act, with which West Virginia University intends to comply fully, was designed to protect the privacy of education records, to establish the right of students to inspect and review their education records, and to provide guidelines for the correction of inaccurate or misleading data through informal and formal hearings. A more detailed explanation of rights afforded to students by FERPA can be found at: http://ferpa.wvu.edu/policy .
Designation of Directory Information
WVU designates the following categories of student information as public or “Directory Information.” This information may be disclosed at West Virginia University's discretion for any purpose:
- Name of Student
- Official Address
- Telephone Number
- Place of Birth
- Age of Student
- Names and Addresses of Parents
- Major and Minor Fields of Study
- Class Status (i.e., freshman)
- Enrollment Status (i.e., full time or part time)
- Dates of Attendance
- Previous Educational Institution(s) Attended
- Degree(s) and Date(s) Conferred, including anticipated graduation dates
- Participation in Officially Recognized Activities and Sports
- Weight and Height of Members of Athletic Teams
- Duties and Responsibilities, including Dates of Service, of Graduate Assistants, Student Workers, Interns, or Student Volunteers
Designation of Limited Use Directory Information
WVU designates the following categories of student information as “Limited Use Directory Information:”
- University issued student electronic mail addresses (“Email Addresses”)
- Photographs, videos or other media containing a student’s image or likeness (collectively “Student Images”)
Accordingly, this information will not be provided to external parties not contractually affiliated with the University. Use and disclosure of this information shall be limited to (1) publication on websites hosted by, on behalf of, or for the benefit of the University, including the online directory available at: http://directory.wvu.edu ; (2) those officials within the University who have access, consistent with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, to such information and only in conjunction with an official institutional purpose.
Withholding Directory Information
The Parent/Guest Portal is now the exclusive method by which a University student may grant a third-party access to his or her records. Now, information that is protected from disclosure pursuant to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), such as grades, financial aid details, and student account/billing information is maintained in a secure online environment. A student may grant permission to a parent or guest to access this information and make payments through this portal. Due to the protection of students’ rights under FERPA, a student may restrict the information that a parent or guest is able to access and revoke access at any time.
For FERPA updates and more information on West Virginia University’s FERPA policy, please visit: http://ferpa.wvu.edu or contact Legal Affairs at: 304.293.5841.
For more information on the Parent/Guest Portal, please visit: http://parent-guest.portal.wvu.edu/ .