This is an archived copy of the 2012-13 Catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit

Advising, Degrees and Graduation

Page Contents:

Abbreviations Used in Course Listings

Abbreviation Description
Ia course given in the first (fall) semester
IIa course given in the second (spring) semester
I, IIa course given each semester
I and IIa course given throughout the year
Yra course continued through two semesters
Sa course given in the summer
HRcredit hours per course
Leclecture period
Recrecitation period
Lablaboratory period
GLABgraded lab
WEBWeb-based course
ConcMust register prior to or at the same time
Consentconsent of instructor required
CRcredit but no grade

An asterisk (*) following credit hours listed as variable indicates that the course normally carries three credit hours. Exceptions are made only in emergencies and must be approved by the departmental chair and by the professor teaching the course.

Academic Advising

Freshmen and transfer students enter West Virginia University as general studies, pre-majors or direct admits to their majors, depending on individual academic program admission requirements. The requirements to enter a major may include a minimum number of credit hours, specific prerequisite coursework, a minimum or competitive grade point average, and/or an entrance exam. For specific program entry requirements, refer to individual degree and major programs in this catalog.

Every student at West Virginia University has access to academic advising. Direct admit students who have matriculated into their majors and some first and second-year pre-majors are advised by staff and faculty in their respective academic units. The Undergraduate Advising Services Center (UASC) advises the majority of first-year pre-majors, many second year pre-majors, as well as ACCESS, part-time, and non-degree students. Students who are undecided on their majors also are advised in the UASC under general studies until they select a major.

WVU students are required to meet with their academic advisors prior to registering for classes each semester. Advisors assist students in understanding major and university requirements; course registration planning and processes; program and course prerequisites; the General Education Curriculum (GEC); and academic standing (e.g. probation and suspension); In addition, advisors and academic mentors may assist students with planning for post-baccalaureate education and careers

Students are expected to become familiar with the Undergraduate Catalog, as it relates to their academic goals and standing; be able to articulate their major and University requirements and prepare for their own course planning and registration processes; use the various majors’ websites; and make full use of academic advising. 

  Certificate Programs

The certificate programs offer a coherent, specialized curriculum designed for students in search of a specific body of knowledge for personal/career development of professional continuing education. Normally a minimum of 12 and no more than 21 credit hours constitute a certificate program at the baccalaureate level.

Commitment to Assessment

The West Virginia University Assessment Council (WVUAC) works with the main WVU campus and divisional campuses to provide resources devoted to sharing best assessment practices, and enhancing student learning through assessment activities. The WVUAC holds monthly meetings to review and provide counsel to program-level assessment activities submitted as part of BOG Program Reviews, and its goals includes strengthening the effectiveness of assessment programs at all levels aimed at enhancing students learning; assisting and helping to create an institutional culture of assessment; aligning the institutional assessment plan with the WVU mission, and serving as an institutional clearinghouse for assessment best practices from around the country.

Degree Works

Degree Works is the official, online advising and degree auditing tool at WVU. All undergraduate students should have a completed audit for graduation. Please refer to this system regularly. You can access Degree Works through your MIX account. More information is available at .

Credit Hours

West Virginia University courses offered for credit are based on semester hours. Semesters are 15 weeks long plus one week for final exams. A single credit hour is equivalent to 50 minutes of guided instruction within the classroom. An hour of preparation, or related activity outside of the classroom, is equivalent to 60 minutes.

Face-to-Face Classroom Learning

One credit hour is equivalent to one hour of guided instruction (50 minute class) and a minimum of two hours of out-of-class student work each week for approximately 15 weeks for one semester or the equivalent amount of work over a different amount of time such as during the summer sessions, which may be variable. One credit hour in other academic activities, as established by the institution, including laboratory work, internships, practicums, studio work, study abroad, experiential learning opportunities, online learning and other academic work is defined at least by an equivalent amount of work as required in the preceding paragraph and outlined in more detail below.

Online Classroom Learning

One credit hour of online learning is equivalent to 15 hours of direct instruction via computer-assisted (modules), multi-media interaction, discussions, and/or engagement for exams/quizzes/assessments as documented in the course syllabus and approved to meet best practices in online learning, and 30 hours of student work (e.g. readings, supplemental home work) to complete the course requirements as set forth by the course instructor. Online courses developed from existing face-to-face instruction adhere to the defined learning outcomes and assessments of the original face-to-face format for the course. All WVU online programs are reviewed for nationally accepted standards for online learning.

Experiential Learning

In experiential learning, including opportunities representing laboratory/lecture courses, undergraduate research (with or without laboratory), professional development internships, and service learning, a total of three hours of classroom and preparation time per week over a period of fifteen weeks for one credit hour or the equivalent amount of work over a shorter period of time is required. Courses must incorporate adequate opportunities to document student progress and student completion of the stated learning objectives for each experience.

Study Abroad

One credit hour is equivalent to 15 hours of guided instruction and 30 hours of cultural, linguistic or other types of engagements as described by the syllabus and approved by the faculty, department Chair, Dean, and Associate Provost. Exceptions to this general rule would need to be justified and approved on an individual basis.

Studio/Ensemble Work

In studio courses representing the arts, design, and theatre, one credit hour is equivalent to 1.5 hours of guided instruction and three hours for studio class preparation each week for 15 weeks as defined by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD). In accordance with the National Association of Schools of Music standards, one credit hour of ensemble work in the music field represents three hours of practice each week, on average, for a period of fifteen weeks plus the necessary individual instruction as defined by the major subject.

Variable Credit Offerings

Variable credit courses often represent student experiences that range in contact hours based on the focus and discipline of the experience. Practicums (teaching and research), field experience, undergraduate and graduate research and laboratory rotations and credit, and independent studies offer a range of contact. One credit hour is equivalent to 15 contact hours of guided instruction (e.g., student progress meetings, assessment) and 30 hours of student work to complete the requirements set forth by the advisor or course instructor (e.g., team meetings, review sessions, thesis/dissertation preparation)over a 15 week period. Instructors/Mentors and students should discuss the appropriate number of total credit hours for a given course based on the time needed to attain outcomes of the particular endeavor.

Credits Required

All students entering WVU as an undergraduate student with fewer than 29 hours must take and earn a passing grade in WVUE 191 in their first semester at WVU. Those who do not pass the course must re-enroll for subsequent semesters until they earn a passing grade. In certain majors, alternate courses are acceptable. These courses will be identified for students by their advisors.

Every undergraduate degree program at WVU requires that students satisfactorily complete the General Education Curriculum which includes an approved writing course and a capstone experience prior to graduation.

Each degree program is based upon a combination of required courses and electives. Certain University requirements are listed below. In addition, the various colleges and schools determine their own credit requirements and course grades and grade point averages for graduation.  The required minimum grade point average for all programs is 2.0 or higher.  Bachelors degrees conferred by West Virginia University must require at least 120 credit hours.  Most degree programs require additional hours (see specific requirements for each major).  

Degree Programs Offered by WVU

College of Business and Economics

Program Bachelor's Master's Doctoral/Professional
Business AdministrationM.B.APh.D.
Business ManagementB.S.B.Ad.
Industrial RelationsM.S.
Management Information SystemsB.S.B.Ad.
Professional AccountancyM.P.A.

College of Creative Arts

Program Bachelor's Master's Doctoral/Professional
Art HistoryB.A.
Art and DesignB.F.AM.F.A
MusicB.A, B.M.M.M.D.M.A, Ph.D.
Multidisciplinary StudiesB.M.D.S.
TheatreB.A., B.F.AM.F.A.

Benjamin M. Statler College of Engineering and Mineral Resources

Program Bachelor's Master's Doctoral/Professional
Aerospace EngineeringB.S.A.EM.S.A.E.
Biometric SystemsB.S.B.S.
Chemical EngineeringB.S.Ch.E.M.S.Ch.E.
Civil EngineeringB.S.C.E.M.S.C.E.
Computer EngineeringB.S.Cp.E.
Computer ScienceB.S.M.S.C.SPh.D.
Electrical EngineeringB.S.E.E.M.S.E.E.
Industrial EngineeringB.S.I.EM.S.I.E
Industrial HygieneM.S.
Mechanical EngineeringB.S.M.E.M.S.M.E.
Mining EngineeringB.S.Min.E.M.S.Min.E.
Petroleum & Natural Gas EngineeringB.S.PNGE.M.S.PNGE.
Safety ManagementM.S.
Software EngineeringM.S.S.E

College of Human Resources and Education

Program Bachelor's Master's Doctoral/Professional
Child Development and Family StudiesB.S.
Communication Sciences and DisordersPh.D.
Counseling PsychologyPh.D.
EducationEd.D., Ph.D.
Educational LeadershipM.A.
Educational PsychologyM.A.
Elementary EducationB.A.M.A.
Instructional Design and TechnologyM.A.Ed.D.
Multidisciplinary StudiesB.M.D.S.
Rehabilitation CounselingM.S.
Secondary EducationM.A.
Special EducationM.A.
Speech Pathology and AudiologyB.S.
Speech PathologyM.S.

College of Law

Program Bachelor's Master's Doctoral/Professional

College of Physical Activity and Sports Science

Program Bachelor's Master's Doctoral/Professional
Physical EducationB.S.M.S.Ed.D.
Sport StudiesB.S.

Davis College of Agriculture, Forestry, and Consumer Sciences

Program Bachelor's Master's Doctoral/Professional
Agricultural and Resource EconomicsM.S.
Agricultural and Extension EducationB.S. Agr.M.S.
Agricultural SciencesPh.D.
Agriculture, Forestry, and Consumer SciencesM.Agr.
Animal and Nutritional SciencesB.S., B.S. Agr.M.S.
Design and MerchandisingB.S.M.S.
Forest Resources ManagementB.S.F.
Forest Resource SciencePh.D.
Genetics and Developmental BiologyM.S.Ph.D.
Landscape ArchitectureB.S.L.A.M.L.A.
Multidisciplinary StudiesB.M.D.S.
Plant and Soil SciencesB.S., B.S.Agr.M.S.
Recreation, Parks, and Tourism ResourcesB.S.R.M.S.
Reproductive PhysiologyM.S.Ph.D.
Resource ManagementB.S., B.S. Agr.
Resource Management and Sustainable DevelopmentPh.D.
Wildlife and Fisheries ResourcesB.S.M.S.
Wood Science and TechnologyB.S.

Eberly College of Arts and Sciences

Program Bachelor's Master's Doctoral/Professional
BiologyB.A., B.S.M.S.Ph.D.
ChemistryB.A., B.S.M.S.Ph.D.
Communication StudiesB.A.M.A.Ph.D.
Computer ScienceB.S.
Creative WritingM.F.A
Forensic and Investigative ScienceB.S.M.S.
GeologyB.A., B.S.M.S.Ph.D.
Interdepartmental StudiesB.A., B.S.
Legal StudiesM.L.S.
Liberal StudiesM.A.L.S.
MathematicsB.A., B.S.M.S.Ph.D.
Multidisciplinary StudiesB.M.D.S., B.A.
PhysicsB.A., B.S.M.S.Ph.D.
Political ScienceB.A.M.A.Ph.D.
Professional Writing and EditingM.A.
PsychologyB.A., B.S.M.A., M.S.Ph.D.
Public AdministrationM.P.A.
Regents Bachelor of ArtsR.B.A.
Social WorkB.S.W.M.S.W.
Sociology and AnthropologyB.A.
World Languages, Literature, and LinguisticsB.A.M.A.

Perley Isaac Reed School of Journalism

Program Bachelor's Master's Doctoral/Professional
Integrated Marketing CommunicationsM.S.

School of Dentistry

Program Bachelor's Master's Doctoral/Professional
Dental HygieneB.S.M.S.
Dental SpecialtiesM.S.

School of Medicine

Program Bachelor's Master's Doctoral/Professional
Biochemistry and Molecular BiologyPh.D.
Biomedical SciencesM.S.
Cancer Cell BiologyPh.D.
Cellular and Integrative PhysiologyPh.D.
Clinical and Transitional ScienceM.S.
Exercise PhysiologyB.S.M.S.Ph.D.
Immunology and Microbial PathogenesisPh.D.
Pathologist's Assistant (Master's in Health Sciences)M.H.S.
Medical Laboratory ScienceB.S.
Occupational TherapyM.O.T.
Physical TherapyD.P.T.

School of Nursing

Program Bachelor's Master's Doctoral/Professional
NursingB.S.N.M.S.N.D.N.P., Ph.D.

School of Pharmacy

Program Bachelor's Master's Doctoral/Professional
Pharmaceutical and Pharmacological SciencesPh.D.

(Emerging) SCHOOL OF Public health

Program Bachelor's Master's Doctoral/Professional
Community Health PromotionM.S.
Public HealthM.P.H.
Public Health SciencesPh.D.

Dual Degrees/Double Majors

Simultaneous completion of dual baccalaureate degrees require a student to complete an additional 30 hours beyond their primary degree (for a minimum of 158 hrs). Completion of double or multiple majors within a single degree require a student to meet requirements of all programs. Graduation with double or multiple majors can only be achieved simultaneously.

General Education Curriculum (GEC)

For General Education Curriculum (GEC) definitions, please see list of approved GEC/Writing/Capstone  courses.

Enrollment - Residence Requirements

If a student transfers to WVU from another institution of higher learning, he or she should transfer no later than the start of the third year. Under no circumstances will a student who enters WVU after October 1 in any year be allowed to receive a degree at the next commencement. In some special cases, a student can leave WVU at the end of the third year and still receive his/her degree from WVU. He or she must enter another accredited institution with the purpose of taking a combined program that will lead to two degrees or prepare for graduate study. Before the student leaves, he or she must apply to the Academic Standards Committee of his or her college to request permission to do the work of the fourth year, or a part thereof, at the other institution and still receive the degree from WVU. Upon approval, the student will receive the WVU degree upon presentation of the proper records from the other school.

A transfer student who has completed undergraduate work at another school in the West Virginia system of higher education must complete either his or her last 30 hours of work at WVU or at least 36 hours of work at WVU, of which 16 of the last 32 hours must be on campus. A transfer student whose undergraduate work has been completed outside the West Virginia system of higher education must complete a total of 90 hours or at least the last 30 hours of work in residence at WVU. The student may be required to earn up to 15 hours in the major field, regardless of the number of hours or the nature of the courses transferred.

Enrollment - Work Done Out of Residence

WVU’s policy is to discourage taking regular residence courses in absentia. If a student begins a course at WVU but fails to complete it due to illness or some other acceptable reason, he or she may receive permission to complete the work in absentia. Permission must be granted by the Academic Standards Committee of the college or school concerned, and the work must be completed under the guidance of a WVU professor. Credit in such cases is allowed only upon a report of a grade of C or better on the final examination. This regulation does not apply to WVU off-campus courses or to courses offered through Extended Learning or Study Abroad.

A student who fails a course (receives a final grade of F) taken at WVU must repeat the course at WVU or at a regional campus to receive credit for that course. The dean of the college or school in which the student is enrolled may authorize an exception to this regulation. If so, then the dean should provide a letter to be placed in the student’s folder, authorizing the exception and explaining its basis.

Students should be aware of the requirements for residence and specific degree requirements described in the catalog when transferring credit from other institutions.

Goals of Undergraduate Education

West Virginia University is committed to providing a high-quality education to students without regard to race or color, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, religion, age, disability, national origin, creed, ancestry, or political affiliation.

WVU’s undergraduate education is designed to help students acquire a basic foundation in a variety of academic areas, in addition to their major field. Nine General Education Curriculum (GEC) objectives are met through the completion of courses designated as GEC courses. For a description of the General Education Curriculum, visit the Office of Registrar’s website: . B.A. candidates in certain degree programs are also required to reach a specified level of proficiency in a language other than English.

Other goals:

  • Integrate the perspectives of the humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences, and an appreciation of the arts with coursework in the major to facilitate an understanding of the world at large. This foundation for lifelong learning should provide the knowledge and skills necessary to deal with social, cultural, and technological change.
  • Develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills sufficient for life in contemporary society. These skills include the ability to read critically, listen critically, ask appropriate questions, gather relevant information, and apply critical analysis to reach logical conclusions. Central to these skills are mathematical literacy and proficiency in oral and written communications.
  • Attain proficiency in their major fields. This proficiency should enable them to be competitive in the job market or in admission to graduate or professional schools.
  • Acquire knowledge, understanding, and an appreciation of diversity in languages, cultures, ideas, and peoples, along with a desire to work so that all individuals are treated in a manner consistent with social justice.
  • Maintain a lifelong commitment to ethical behavior, responsible citizenship, and public service.


In order to graduate, a student must file an application for graduation in the academic dean’s office of his or her major department during the first month of the semester or summer term in which he or she expects to graduate. If a student is uncertain about graduation requirements, the department chairperson may be contacted for clarification. The student should also meet with their academic advisor for guidance.

Graduation with Honors

WVU recognizes distinguished academic achievement by awarding degrees cum laude, magna cum laude, and summa cum laude. This distinction can be awarded on initial or second baccalaureates and specified entry-level professional degrees. All candidates for a baccalaureate with a GPA of 3.8 or higher graduate summa cum laude. Those with a grade point average of less than 3.8, but equal to or above 3.6, graduate magna cum laude. Those with a GPA of less than 3.6, but equal to or above 3.4, graduate cum laude.

Grade point average for honors consideration for a baccalaureate is based on baccalaureate-level college work attempted through the next-to-the-last semester or the last semester, whichever GPA is higher. This calculation includes transferable baccalaureate-level college work attempted at all regionally-accredited higher education institutions attended. Credit hours earned with a grade of P or S are not considered in the determination. Grades of F, however, are computed as hours attempted.

The GPA for honors consideration for entry-level professional degrees is based on baccalaureate-level and professional-level work attempted through the next-to-the-last semester or through the last semester, whichever GPA is higher. This calculation includes transferable baccalaureate-level and professional-level college work attempted at all regionally accredited higher education institutions attended. Credit hours earned with a grade of P or S are not considered in the determination. Additionally, GPA on WVU work must meet the requirements stated for the level of honors to be designated. If a student’s GPA on WVU work indicates a lower level of honors, then the WVU GPA shall govern the specific designation.

Students entering and completing a second baccalaureate program following completion of the initial degree at the University are eligible to receive the honors designation. Grade point averages for graduation with honors on second baccalaureates shall be computed on the last 80 semester hours of baccalaureate-level work, excluding credit earned with a P or S. At least 30 semester hours must have been completed in the second degree program through the penultimate semester.


Procedures for Declaring and Completing a Minor

Students declare minors once they enter their major fields of study. The following steps should be followed to assure that completion of a minor is appropriately recognized and posted to the student’s transcript:

  1. A student interested in completing a minor (or minors) works with his or her major advisor to incorporate minor requirements into schedule planning. Students are welcome to consult with advisors in the minor department. Students who wish to complete a minor in music, women’s studies, leadership studies, or ROTC must work directly with advisors for those programs.
  2. Complete an Academic Status Update Form with their advisor.
  3. When completing the Application for Graduation, the student indicates the minor(s) for which certification is requested.
  4. The student’s major advisor/major college advisement office certifies that all minor requirements have been completed and reports both major and minor certifications to the Office of the University Registrar on the Tentative Graduation form. Women’s studies and music minors are certified by those programs.

Note: Minors are only awarded at the time of the conferral of a baccalaureate degree.

Course Requirements

Requirements for academic minors are set by the department offering the minor. Substitutions may not be made without written approval of the minor department. Courses in the minor may not be taken pass/fail. A student may not complete a minor in his or her major field. (For rules concerning minors that are part of the multidisciplinary studies degree, see .)

Available Minors

For the list of minors see .

Official Program Designations

Degree program: an area of study approved as such by the institution and the Board of Governors (BOG) and listed on the official inventory of degree programs (e.g., English, social work, physical education, foreign languages). The degree is represented by the official degree designation (e.g., B.A.—bachelor of arts, B.S.—bachelor of science, B.M.D.S.—bachelor of multidisciplinary studies, M.A.—master of arts, B.S.J.—bachelor of science in journalism, B.S.P.Ed.—bachelor of science in physical education, etc.)

Major: a field of study within an approved degree program, having its own prescribed curriculum. A degree program may have more than one major.

Area of Emphasis: a specific subject area within an approved degree program and major. Normally, a minimum of 12 credit hours and no more than 18 credit hours are expected for an area of emphasis.

Minor: strategic work in an area of study that encourages students to pursue a secondary field. Students may not earn a minor in the same field as their major. Requirements for a minor are set by the academic unit offering the minor and must include at least 15 hours of coursework, with a minimum of nine hours at the upper division level (course numbers 300 or above).

Plan for Numbering Courses

For convenience, each course of study is designated by the name of the department in which it is given and by the number of that course. The plan for numbering courses is as follows:

Courses 1–99 Developmental and community college certificate courses (does not require WVU Faculty Senate approval) and undergraduate professional development courses (courses that are designed for professional development and require students to possess a high school diploma but the course would not count toward graduation).

Courses 100 Freshman/Lower Division: Intended primarily for freshmen, although by upper-division students may take them if needed to complete degree requirements.

Courses 200 Sophomore/Lower Division: Intended primarily for sophomores. These courses may have 100 or 200-level prerequisites.

Courses 300 Juniors/Upper Division: Intended primarily for juniors. These courses may have extensive prerequisites or be limited to specific majors.

Courses 400 Seniors/Upper Division: Intended primarily for seniors and selected graduate students. These courses are typically limited to advanced undergraduates within a particular major or degree program and selected graduate students. No more than 40 percent of the credits counted for meeting requirements for a graduate degree can be at the 400 level.

Courses 500 Undergraduate Seniors and Master’s Level: Courses intended for advanced undergraduate and graduate students. Undergraduates in any class carrying a 500-level course number must have a 3.0 cumulative grade point average and written approval on an Application for an Advanced Undergraduate Student to Enroll in a Course Numbered 500-599 for Undergraduate Credit from the course instructor, student’s advisor(s) and academic dean. Seniors may count these courses for graduate credit only after completion and approval of a senior petition.

Courses 600 Master’s Level: Courses intended for master’s degree students (no undergraduates permitted).

Courses 700 Master’s and Doctoral Degree Level: Courses intended for doctoral students and advanced master’s students (no undergraduates permitted).

Courses 900 Professional Development: Courses intended for professional development and require students to possess a bachelor’s degree; these courses do not count toward graduation and are not applicable towards a graduate degree. Grading is S/U only.

Note: Graduate degree credit-hour requirements must include at least 60 percent at the 500–level and above.

Common Course Numbers/Descriptions

199. Orientation to [subject/field]. 1 Hr. Orientation to degree programs and requirements, departmental resources, curriculum options, student responsibilities, and opportunities.

293. Special Topics. 1-6 Hr. PR: Consent. Investigation of topics not covered in regularly scheduled courses.

298. Honors, 1-3 Hr. PR: Students in Honors Program and consent by the honors director. Independent reading, study, or research.

393. Special Topics. 1-6 Hr. PR: Consent. Investigation of topics not covered in regularly scheduled courses.

490. Teaching Practicum. 1-3 Hr. PR: Consent. Teaching practice as a tutor or assistant.

491. Professional Field Experience. 1-18 Hr. PR: Consent (may be repeated up to a maximum of 18 hours.) Prearranged experiential learning program, to be planned, supervised, and evaluated for credit by faculty and field supervisors. Involves temporary placement with public or private enterprise for professional competence development.

492. Directed Study. 1-3 Hr. Directed study, reading, and/or research.

493. Special Topics. 1-6 Hr. PR: Consent. Investigation of topics not covered in regularly scheduled courses.

494. Seminar. 1-3 Hr. PR: Consent. Presentation and discussion of topics of mutual concern to students and faculty.

495. Independent Study. 1-6 Hr. Faculty-supervised study of topics not available through regular course offerings.

496. Senior Thesis. 1-3 Hr. PR: Consent.

497. Research. 1-6 Hr. Independent research projects.

498. Honors, 1-3 Hr. PR: Students in Honors Program and consent by the honors director. Independent reading, study, or research.

499. Global Service Learning. 3 Hr. PR: Consent. Theory and practice of global service-learning. The main objective will be to pair the experiential aspects of meaningful and sustained service in the host community with work from the student’s anchor course by offering a methodological framework for cultural immersion and community service as well as adding to the content of the anchor course.

Regulations Affecting Degrees

All degrees are conferred by the WVU Board of Governors as recommended by the faculties of the various colleges and schools. A degree is granted at the end of the semester or summer term in which a student completes all the requirements for that degree, provided the student has submitted an application for graduation at his or her major department’s academic dean’s office and the dean has certified completion of all degree requirements.

A student becomes eligible to graduate when he or she completes the requirements of the University, college or school, and major degree program according to the Undergraduate Catalog in effect at the time the student first entered WVU.  With the consent of the student's advisor and dean, a student may choose to meet the conditions published in a later catalog.  If a student entered WVU more than seven years previously, the student must complete the requirements in a catalog that is no more than seven years old.  

Students must observe any program changes that are enacted by the West Virginia University Faculty Senate, West Virginia University Board of Governors, the West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission, or by local, state, or federal law.

WVU policy dictates that, in view of their professional responsibilities to the general public, the faculty of a professional school may recommend to the president of the University, in writing, that a student be removed from its rolls. The recommendation of the faculty must indicate that the student is not fit to meet the qualifications and responsibilities of the profession.

WVU will not issue a diploma or a transcript to any student until payment of all tuition, fees, and other indebtedness to any unit of the University is made.

Second Degrees

Students who have earned one bachelor’s degree from WVU or another institution may earn another bachelor’s degree by completing, at a minimum, an additional 30 hours beyond the first degree. All program and university requirements must be satisfied for the second degree, as well as, residency requirements. Second degree candidates must meet all requirements of their major, College or School and the University. GEC requirements however are generally considered satisfied by completion of the first undergraduate degree.

Student Responsibility

Students are responsible for their own academic well-being, including knowing their scholastic standing as it relates to the published regulations and standards of WVU. This responsibility includes familiarity with the regulations and requirements of their academic college or school or the Undergraduate Advising Services Center and the regulations and requirements of the department or division in which they are pursuing a degree. Students are encouraged to meet with their university advisor or academic advisor when questions arise or when the student is confronted with multiple challenges.

WVU Undergraduate Degree Credit Hour Requirements

Major Minimum Credit Hours
Aerospace Engineering125
Agribusiness Management and Rural Development128
Agricultural and Extension Education136
Agricultural Biochemistry128
Animal and Nutritional Sciences128
Applied and Environmental Microbiology128
Art - B.A. Art History128
Art and Design - B.F.A.129
Art and Design - B.F.A. with teaching certificate152
Athletic Coaching Education128
Athletic Training128
Biometric Systems133
Broadcast News128
Business Management128
Chemical Engineering133
Child Development and Family Studies128
Civil and Environmental Engineering132
Communication Studies128
Computer Engineering130
Computer Science (Eberly)128
Computer Science (Engineering)128
Criminology and Investigations128
Dental Hygiene136
Design Studies128
Economics (Business)128
Economics (Eberly)128
Electrical Engineering132
Environmental and Natural Resources Economics128
Environmental Geoscience128
Environmental Protection128
Exercise Physiology128
Fashion Design and Merchandising128
Forensic and Investigative Science128
Forest Resources Management128
General Business128
Human Nutrition and Foods128
Individualized major128
Industrial Engineering129
Industrial Mathematics and Statistics128
Interdepartmental Studies128
Interior Design132
International Studies128
Landscape Architecture136
Management Information Systems128
Mechanical Engineering124
Medical Laboratory Science134
Mining Engineering129
Multidisciplinary Studies128
Music - B.A.128
Music - B.A. with teaching certification135
Music - B.M. Performance: Band or Orchestra Instrument or Guitar129
Music - B.M. Performance: Piano (Traditional Emphasis)133
Music - B.M. Performance: Piano (Coaching/Accompanying)141
Music - B.M. Performance: Piano (Pedagogy Emphasis)136
Music - B.M. Performance: Piano (Jazz Emphasis)133
Music - B.M. Performance: Voice135
Music - B.M. Performance: Woodwinds129
Music - B.M. Jazz Studies129
Music - B.M. Composition137
Petroleum and Natural Gas Engineering131
Physical Education/Teacher Education144
Political Science128
Public Relations128
Recreation, Parks, and Tourism Resources128
Regents Bachelor of Arts120
Religious Studies128
Slavic and East European Studies128
Social Work128
Sociology and Anthropology128
Soil Science128
Speech Pathology and Audiology128
Sport and Exercise Psychology128
Sports Management128
Theatre - B.A.128
Theatre - B.F.A. Acting133
Theatre - B.F.A. Puppetry128
Theatre - B.F.A. Design128
Wildlife and Fisheries Resources128
Women's Studies128
Wood Science and Technology128
World Languages, Literatures and Linguistics128

Official Transcripts

Students can order official transcripts through their MIX account at any time or go to . All orders require a valid e-mail address and a credit/ debit card which will be charged by e-Pay West Virginia once the transcript request has been entered and a confirmation number is provided.
Before ordering a transcript, students should log on to their MIX account to ensure that all grades and degree(s) have been posted. Transcript requests are processed im­mediately. They are not held for posting of final grades and/or degrees.
All financial obligations to West Virginia University must be cleared before transcripts can be released. Transcripts may not be picked up by another party unless the student has given written authorization with the request. The designated person will be expected to show a picture I.D. before obtaining the transcript.
A West Virginia University transcript is a complete record of a student’s enrollment at WVU. This includes all undergraduate, graduate, and professional courses. Partial transcripts are not available.