This is an archived copy of the 2012-13 Catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit


Page Contents:

WVU Transient Students

In order to take a course or courses at another school, a student must have written approval from his or her advisor, dean, and director of admissions or designee. To receive such approval, a student must have an overall 2.0 grade-point average. All approved college-level work is accepted for transfer from accredited institutions, provided the above requirements have been met. To view a list of schools and courses already reviewed, visit In addition, an official transcript must be received by the Office of Admissions before any coursework can be counted toward degree requirements.

Advanced Placement Program (AP)

WVU encourages you to work to your full capacity and to earn your degree at your own learning speed. As a high school junior or senior, you can take college-level courses at your school in conjunction with the College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB). The Advanced Placement Service administers three-hour examinations to show competency equal to that received by taking the actual college course. The chart can be found at the WVU Office of Admission’s website: aspx.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

If an incoming student has gained a significant level of maturity through life experi­ences, he or she may receive college credit for those educationally-related experiences through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) of the CEEB. A policy of the WVU Board of Governors allows University credit to be awarded for successful completion of hours of general education or elective credit may be earned for successful performance on the CLEP general examinations. Although this program was designed primarily for adults, exceptionally well-qualified high school seniors may use the CLEP program. The chart at the WVU Office of Admission’s website: indicates the areas for which WVU grants credit based on the minimum scores required. It should be noted that no student is eligible for CLEP credits after he or she has enrolled at WVU.

A student with at least one year of active military service may receive college-level credit by submitting a copy of his or her DD214 or a Sailor/Marine/ACE Registry Transcript (SMART) or Army/ACE Registry Transcript System (AARTS) transcript. The chart can be found at

International Baccalaureate (IB)

West Virginia University welcomes applications from students who have attended high schools that offer the international baccalaureate program. Credit given varies with level (standard or higher) and with score. The chart can be found at admissions/freshmen/credits.aspx.

Undergraduate and Professional Programs


To apply for admission to the various schools of the Health Sciences Center, go to:

Questions can be directed to the Health Sciences Admissions office at 304-293-3521. 

Because we are primarily a group of professional schools and most of our applicants are enrolled in undergraduate studies at a residential college or university, we remind students to include their permanent home address with requests for application forms.

Specific entrance requirements for all Health Sciences programs are detailed in the section pertaining to each program. For information about freshman, transfers, and international admission to West Virginia University, please refer to the WVU Undergraduate Catalog.

During the first semester of the first year at the WVU Health Sciences Center, we require that students complete certain prescribed immunization and diagnostic procedures.

Application Fees

Application fees for dental hygiene, medical laboratory science, nursing, and occupational therapy are $25 for residents of West Virginia and $45 for non-residents. Application fees for dentistry, doctor of physical therapy, and doctor of pharmacy are $50.  Application fee for medicine is $100.

When accepted into one of our programs, students are asked to pay a deposit to make their acceptance official. These deposits are applied toward the first semester’s tuition. If a student pays a deposit but does not enroll, a written request for refund must be received. Deposit amounts and refund deadlines vary and are subject to change.

Second or Multiple Bachelor’s Degree

To earn a second baccalaureate degree, students must earn at least 30 credits beyond the requirements for the first degree. All requirements, departmental and otherwise, must be satisfied for the second degree. A second bachelor’s degree cannot be earned if a student has not met the University’s residence requirement. (See Residence Requirements.)

If a student wishes to earn two baccalaureate degrees at the same graduation date, then a student must satisfactorily complete a minimum of 158 credits and meet all requirements, departmental and otherwise, of both degree programs. Admission must be granted from both programs.

Classification of Students

WVU undergraduates are classified as freshmen, sophomores, juniors, or seniors. These classifications are based upon the number of hours completed. The classifications are as follows:Pre-Defined Table

Classification Hours
Freshman1-28 hours, inclusive
Sophomore29-58 hours, inclusive
Junior59-88 hours, inclusive
Senior89 or more semester hours

Academic Forgiveness Policy

WVU allows an academic forgiveness to some students who are not successful in their first attempt at higher education.

To be eligible, a student cannot have been enrolled at a West Virginia state system of higher education institution for at least five calendar years and cannot have been enrolled in any other institution of higher learning during those five years. In order to determine eligibility, students must complete the Academic Forgiveness Form which is available at the Office of Admissions.

The conditions and rules of the academic forgiveness policy are as follows:

  • Admission to WVU under the Academic Forgiveness Policy is conditional upon satisfying the above stated non-enrollment period. In addition, a recommendation that the student be admitted under the academic forgiveness policy must be submitted by the dean of the col- lege or school that the student plans to enter, and the recommendation must be approved by the Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
  • Upon admission to WVU under this policy, the student will be credited with the hours earned for courses completed with a grade of D or higher.
  • Grades earned during any prior enrollment period will not be counted for purposes of calcu- lating the student’s grade point average, but grades earned will remain on the student’s permanent record.
  • The student must meet and complete all coursework required to meet the college or school’s requirements for graduation, but under no circumstances after the student has been admitted under the Academic Forgiveness Policy shall the student complete fewer than 64 credit hours prior to earning a degree.
  • A student admitted to WVU under this policy will follow all regulations regarding probation, suspension, and expulsion.

Graduate Programs

Health Sciences Center Graduate Council

The Health Sciences Center Graduate Council advises the vice president for Health Sciences. In this role the council monitors and administers the graduate studies policies of the schools located at the Health Sciences Center.

Application and Admission

Prospective graduate students are urged to initiate application for admission as early as possible. The first step of a student interested in a degree program should be to ask for information from the department, division, school, or college offering the program desired; the reply to such an inquiry will include instructions for applying to the particular program.

Application for admission to graduate study must be made online or on standard forms provided online at .  If using a paper application, the completed form may be returned to the Office of Admissions, PO Box 6009, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV  26506, and must be accompanied by payment of a nonrefundable special service fee of $60. Applicants who have attended another institution, other than WVU, must request that the registrar or records office of the college(s) attended send an official transcript directly to the Office of Admissions. No one is admitted to graduate study that does not hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.

If the applicant meets the minimum admission requirements of WVU, a copy of the application is forwarded to the faculty of the program of interest. Any graduate degree program is permitted to set admission requirements which go beyond the minimum admission standards of the University. No one can pursue an advanced degree at WVU unless admitted to the appropriate degree program.


Many programs at WVU require Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores from all applicants, but in no program is an examination score the sole criterion for admission. Some programs require both the general aptitude and the appropriate advanced test before considering an applicant for admission.  Please check with your department of interest for specific requirements.


When students graduate or complete the program for which they applied, they must reapply and be readmitted before taking further coursework at WVU. This policy assures that the University is informed of students’ objectives and assigns them an appropriate advisor. Students are assessed a service fee for each new application.

When eight years have passed since initial coursework, a student must reapply. The application fee will be assessed.

Intra-University Transfers

To transfer from one school or department to another, a student may initiate a transfer request by contacting the Health Sciences Center Graduate Programs Office or his or her advisor. The advisor must contact the Health Sciences Center Graduate Programs Office, which will complete the transfer.


Credit toward a graduate degree may be obtained only for courses listed in the WVU Graduate Catalog and numbered 400–799, in which the grade earned is A, B, C, or S. No course in which the grade earned is D, P, F, or U can be counted toward a graduate degree.

Transfer Credit

To apply graduate-level credits from other accredited institutions toward a master’s degree at WVU, students must get permission from the individual schools or colleges. The standardized transfer application form must be approved and signed by a unit chairperson or designate, prior to the student’s enrolling in the course(s) to be transferred to WVU. The school or department submits the approved form to the Health Sciences Graduate Programs Office for final approval and submission to the Office of Admissions. It is the student’s responsibility to see that Admissions gets an original transcript from the other institution. Only credit earned at institutions accredited at the graduate level may be transferred.

Graduate courses taken elsewhere will not be approved for transfer credit unless the transfer application form was approved before enrolling in them. When a school or department approves the form, it is sent to the Health Sciences Center Graduate Programs Office for approval. A maximum of 12 semester hours from other institutions will be accepted for credit at WVU in master’s programs requiring 30 to 41 semester hours. Eighteen semester hours will be accepted for master’s degree programs requiring 42 or more semester hours. Individual graduate programs may accept fewer credit hours.

International Student Admission

West Virginia University is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant foreign nationals as students. International students wishing to enroll for graduate work at WVU must comply with the stated academic requirements for admission and with certain additional academic and nonacademic requirements.

International applicants should forward a letter of inquiry one year before they intend to begin study in the United States. The University receives a large number of applications from international students. For this reason and because of the time required for the student to make visa and financial arrangements, April 1 has been established as a deadline after which applications cannot be guaranteed consideration for fall admission. International students applying for admission to West Virginia University must submit the following:

  • A completed international student admission application.
  • Application service fee.
  • The official results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). TOEFL or IELTS results must be sent directly to WVU by the testing service.
  • Original or certified copies of the applicant’s official academic record in the original language of issue. Applicants who have studied in the United States are required to have the institutions send an official transcript directly to WVU.
  • Original or certified copy of all certificates or diplomas in the original language of issue.
  • Official English translations of the academic record and certificates/diplomas.
The items above should be sent to:
West Virginia University
P.O. Box 6009
Morgantown, West Virginia 26506-6009

All material must be received by the application deadline. If possible, all application materials should be submitted at one time (TOEFL or IELTS scores and official transcripts from United States institutions should be requested so that all material arrives at WVU close to the same date). Incomplete applications cannot be guaranteed consideration for the desired semester. Applicants are encouraged to contact the academic program of interest for information about requirements other than those listed above.

Required Academic Credentials

Applicants for graduate programs must submit academic records from all post-secondary education. In some cases, it may be necessary for graduate applicants to submit records from the secondary school.

West Virginia University requires that original academic documents and/or certified copies of the original academic documents from non-United States institutions be submitted. The required documents include the official academic record (showing course titles, dates taken, and grades received), and diploma(s) or certificate(s) showing the degree awarded. These documents must be in the original language of issue. Official English translations must be included. Translations must be literal, word-for-word translations and must indicate actual grades received, not an interpretation of the grades.

Documents received by WVU become the property of WVU and cannot be returned to the applicant. It is therefore recommended that students who receive only one original copy of credentials submit certified copies with the application.

Applicants who are currently enrolled in an institution and who cannot submit the final academic record and certification of degree may be granted admission if the incomplete record indicates that the applicant will unquestionably meet WVU admission standards. Final admission, however, cannot be approved until the complete academic record and certification of degree have been received and evaluated by the Office of Admissions.

English Language Proficiency

All applicants whose first language is not English must provide proof of English language proficiency. WVU uses the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) as measures of English language proficiency. A score of 213 on the computer-based TOEFL, 550 on the paper-based TOEFL, or 79 on the internet-based TOEFL or 6.5 on the IELTS is the minimum required of all such applicants. Applicants must make arrangements to take the TOEFL/IELTS well in advance of the desired date of enrollment at WVU. Information about registration for the TOEFL can be obtained by writing to:

Educational Testing Service

P.O. Box 6154

Princeton, NJ 08541-6154, USA

or by contacting the local office of the United States Information Service (USIS).

Applicants who have received a high school diploma or a bachelor’s degree in the United States need not submit TOEFL/IELTS results. However, applicants only having a master’s degree from an accredited U.S. college or university must still provide acceptable TOEFL or IELTS scores.

Financial Documents and Student Visa

International students requiring a form I-20 or IAP-66 for student or exchange visa must provide certification of adequate financial resources in U.S. dollars. Generally, the student must provide an official bank statement showing the availability of the appropriate funds. If a private sponsor will be the student’s source of support, the sponsor must submit a letter showing intent to sponsor and an official bank statement showing the availability of the appropriate funds. Other forms of support could include sponsorship certifications from the student’s government or sponsoring agency. In all cases, original or certified copies of financial/sponsorship documents must be submitted before the I-20 or IAP-66 can be issued.

Intensive English Program

In some cases, it may be possible to consider applications for students who lack adequate TOEFL/IELTS scores and will enroll in the West Virginia University Intensive English Program. Such applicants must contact the Intensive English Program directly and notify the Office of Admissions of their intentions. Applicants for graduate programs should also notify the academic department of interest of their intentions. Admission to the Intensive English Program does not guarantee admission to the University or to a specific program of study. Applicants admitted to an academic program under the condition of successful completion of the Intensive English Program will be required to meet a certain level of English language proficiency before being permitted to begin the academic portion of their studies, e.g., a grade of B or better in ESL courses or a TOEFL score above 550 or its new TOEFL equivalent or an IELTS score of 6.5. Inquiries about the Intensive English Program should be directed to:

Intensive English Program
Department of Foreign Languages
West Virginia University
P.O. Box 6298
Morgantown, WV 26506-6298

Regular Graduate Students

Regular graduate students are degree-seeking students who meet all the criteria for regular admission to a program of their choice. The student must possess a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university, must have at least a grade point average of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale, have met all the criteria established by the degree program, and be under no obligation to make up deficiencies.

A student may be admitted as provisional by any unit when the student possesses a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university but clearly does not meet the criteria for regular admission. The student may have incomplete credentials, deficiencies to make up, or may have an undergraduate scholastic record which shows promise, but less than the 2.75 grade point average required for regular admission.

A non-degree student is a student not admitted to a program. Admission as a non-degree student does not guarantee admission to any course or program. The reasons for non-degree admission may be late application, incomplete credentials, scholarship deficiencies, or lack of a degree objective. Even though a non-degree student has not been admitted to a graduate program, a unit may allow a non-degree student to enroll in its courses. To be admitted as a non-degree student, a student must only present evidence of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university and a 2.5 grade point average, but the student must obtain a 2.5 grade point average on the first 12 credit hours of coursework and maintain this average as long as enrolled. To be eligible to enter a degree program, the student must maintain a minimum of a 2.75 grade point average on all coursework taken since admission as a graduate student.

The standards cited are the minimum standards established by the University. Individual academic units or graduate programs may establish higher standards.

Reclassification of Provisional Students

The provisions of a student’s provisional status are specified by the graduate department or program, but also may include satisfactory performance in ESL courses. To be reclassified as a regular student, a student must meet the provisions stated by the department and achieve a minimum grade point average of 2.75 on all coursework taken during the provisional period. Individual degree programs may set higher grade point average requirements.

No later than the completion of the 18th credit hour, a unit must review the student’s record and make a final decision on the student’s admission. A student who has met the provisions of admission and achieved the required grade point average will be reclassified as a regular student. A student who fails to meet the provisions of admission or who fails to achieve the required grade point average will be suspended, but may be reinstated in order to transfer to another program or to non-degree status. The academic unit must notify the student and the Office of Admissions of its decision.

Upon notification by the appropriate academic unit, the Office of Admissions will prohibit the registration of all provisional graduate students who have reached the maximum of 18 credit hours. Registration will not be permitted until the student is reclassified as a regular student, an exception is granted by an academic dean, or the student is transferred. A student may be admitted as a provisional graduate student more than one time, but not by the same graduate program.

All credit hours taken since admission as a provisional graduate student or to be applied to a degree count in the 18th credit-hour limit, i.e., undergraduate or graduate credit, P/F, S/U, graded courses, credit by senior petition, and transfer credit.

Regular or Provisional to Non-Degree

  • Regular and provisional students may become non-degree students by choice. This includes students who fail to meet admission or academic standards or who withdraw voluntarily.
  • To change a student to non-degree status, the advisor must process a Graduate Studies Transfer/Status form through the Health Sciences Center Graduate Programs Office.

Non-Degree to Regular or Provisional

  • Non-degree students who later wish to become degree candidates must transfer and present all the credentials required by the degree program. This requires the processing of a Departmental Decision Form by the student’s advisor through the HSC Graduate Programs Office.
  • For admission to a degree program, a non-degree student must have achieved a minimum grade point average of 2.75 on all coursework taken since admission as a graduate student.

Employed Graduate Students

Graduate students will be required by their advisors to limit their credit loads in proportion to the outside service rendered and the time available for graduate study. In general, persons in full-time service to the University, or other employer, will be advised to enroll for no more than six hours of work in any one semester and those in half-time service for no more than 12 hours. Maximum credit loads may be less for employed graduate students in some academic colleges, schools, and departments.

Non-Degree Graduate Students

A non-degree graduate student may accumulate unlimited graduate credit hours, but if the student is later admitted to a degree program, the faculty of that program will decide whether or not any credit earned as a non-degree student may be applied to the degree. Under no circumstances may a non-degree student apply more than 12 hours of credit toward a degree.

Academic Advising

When entering West Virginia University, students are assigned an academic advisor. The advisor assists preparing a schedule, assigning classes as required by the student’s degree program, and certifies the student’s study list to the University Registrar’s Office. The advisor is also expected to give advice and sympathetic guidance. Students are expected to meet with their advisor to discuss academic problems.

Students interested in medical technology, nursing, pharmacy, physical therapy, or occupational therapy may be admitted to a pre-program in order to complete entrance requirements for admission to the degree program. Students in these pre-programs are advised through the Undergraduate Academic Services Center. Students must apply for admission with an undergraduate application.