This is an archived copy of the 2012-13 Catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit

Graduate Education Expenses

Page Contents:

Academic Common Market

West Virginia provides its residents the opportunity, through the Academic Common Market (ACM) and through other contract programs, to pursue academic majors or programs not available within the state. The contract programs and the ACM permit West Virginians to enter out-of-state institutions at reduced tuition rates. The ACM provides access to numerous undergraduate and graduate programs. The programs are restricted to West Virginia residents who have been accepted for admission to one of the specific programs at the designated out-of-state institutions. Through reciprocal agreements, WVU allows residents of states within the ACM to enroll in undergraduate and graduate programs on an in-state tuition basis. Further information may be obtained from the Associate Provost for Undergraduate Academic Affairs, Stewart Hall, West Virginia University, P.O. Box 6203, Morgantown, WV 26506-6203, or you may visit the SREB Academic Common Market site for eligible programs . Application must be made through the higher education authority of the state of residence. West Virginia residents should apply through the West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission, 1018 Kanawha Boulevard East, Charleston, WV 25301. For more information see their brochure at .

Regional contract programs have been established for study in optometry, podiatry, and veterinary medicine. Visit for additional information.

SREB Academic Common Market

Through the Southern Regional Education Board (SREB) Academic Common Market, WVU allows students from SREB member states to enroll in certain WVU programs at in-state tuition rates. Typically these degree programs are not available to students in their home state. In addition to West Virginia, SREB member states are Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida (graduate only), Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina (graduate only), Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas (graduate only), and Virginia. Please refer to the SREB website for the most current information about programs offered to residents of your state. See Academic Common Market on page 23 for more information.

Cost of an Academic Year’s Work

The WVU Financial Aid Office makes available to students with an estimate of the total cost of attendance for an academic year through the Admissions Department. This estimate includes tuition/fees, books/supplies, off campus room/board, transportation, and personal expenses in amounts designed to provide a modest, but adequate, lifestyle for students. The cost of attendance for the 2012–2013 academic year for resident students is $17,832; for non-resident students the current cost is $30,530. Figures are updated annually and you are encouraged to contact the Financial Aid Office for the most recent information at .

Many students attending WVU use graduate student graduate teaching assistantships (GTAs), graduate research assistantships (GRAs), or other graduate assistantships offered by many academic and non-academic units across campus. In addition to the waiver of tuition, these assistantships also provide stipends that range in value according to the college, program, or work to be undertaken (see Graduate Assistantships, Fellowships, and Waivers).

Tuition and Fees

The WVU Office of Admission assigns enrolling students a residency classification for admission, fee, and tuition purposes. Students who are legal residents of West Virginia pay “resident” tuition at WVU; students who are residents of other states and nations pay “non-resident” tuition.

Tuition and fee structures additionally vary by academic program at WVU. Current tuition and fee costs can be found at .

Fee Regulations

All West Virginia University fees are subject to change without notice. A nonrefundable service fee of $60 must accompany the application for admission to graduate studies. All fees are payable to the Office of Student Accounts at registration. Arrangements with the Office of Student Accounts for payment from officially accepted scholarships, loan funds, grants, or contracts shall be considered sufficient for acceptance of registration. All students should register on days scheduled for registration at the beginning of each semester or summer session. No student will be permitted to register at the University after the eighth day of a semester or the fourth calendar day of the summer sessions or a single summer session. Days are counted from the first day of registration. Any student failing to complete registration on regular registration days is subject to a late registration fee.

Registering students pay the fees shown in the fee charts, plus special fees and deposits as required.

WVU places restrictions on students who have outstanding debts to a unit or units of the University. The restriction may include, but is not limited to, the withholding of a student’s registration, diploma, or transcript. No degree is conferred and no transcripts are issued to any student before payment is made of all tuition, fees, and other indebtedness to any unit of the University.

Types of Fees

Special Fees, Library Fee, and Technology Fee

Special Fees provides students with access to the WVU Mountainlair Student Center, the Daily Athenaeum newspaper, University Radio Station, Student Recreation Center, and Student Health Services, Athletics (student admission to WVU football, basketball, and other sporting events), student affairs activities, and the Personal Rapid Transit (PRT) system. The Library Fee provides students with access to and support from the University Libraries. The Technology Fee supports University computer centers and campus technology development. All students, regardless of whether or not they have been granted a tuition waiver must pay these mandatory fees.

Laboratory Fees

Many departments assess laboratory or other equipment fees to provide availability to consult specific departments concerning nonrefundable equipment deposits and laboratory fees.

Music Fees

All music majors must pay a fee that entitles them to assigned practice space daily. Band and orchestra instruments may be rented by the semester. Contact the College of Creative Arts for details regarding these fees.

Other Fees*

There are other fees for certain services and functions provided by the University. Check with the University office providing the service or function in question to find out the current fee. Also, individual programs may have additional fees.

Remission of Fees

Students appointed as graduate assistants are eligible for remission of tuition and certain fees (see Graduate Assistantships, Fellowships, and Waivers).

Refund of Tuition and Fees

Current information on refunding can be found on the WVU Finance Division’s webpage

Non-Sufficient Funds Check Policy

Payments of tuition, fees, and other charges by check, draft, or money order are subject to WVU’s Non-Sufficient Funds Check Policy. A copy of the policy is available in the Office of Student Accounts. A service charge of $25.00 is collected on each check returned unpaid by the bank upon which it was drawn. The service charge on unpaid, returned check(s) is subject to change in accordance with state law.

Identification Card

Students registered for the current semester are eligible for an identification card (Mountaineer Card). The Mountaineer Card gives access to certain activities and privileges depending on fees assessed. Students assessed the on-campus fees have free access to Student Recreation Center, the PRT, Student Health, athletic events and may ride the local bus system (MountainLine) by using their ID card. On and off-campus students have access to the WVU Libraries and the Mountainlair’s WVU Up- All Night activities. Students taking Extended Learning classes may opt to pay the on-campus fees to participate in the other activities. WVU reserves the right to refuse issuance of an Identification card and misuse may result in confiscate of the card. For more information about the Mountaineer Card visit or contact them at .

Residency Policy

Residency policy is establish by the WV Higher Education Policy Commission Series 25 and is posted at . Section 1 of the residency policy bulletin contains general information regarding its scope and dates of adoption. Remaining sections are excerpted below.

Higher Education Policy Commission Series 25
Section 2. Classification for Admission and Fee Purposes

  1. Students enrolling in a West Virginia public institution of higher education shall be assigned a residency status for admission, tuition, and fee purposes by the institutional officer designated by the president. In determining residency classification, the issue is essentially one of domicile. In general, the domicile of a person is that person’s true, fixed, permanent home and place of habitation. The decision shall be based upon information furnished by the student and all other relevant information. The designated officer is authorized to require such written documents, affidavits, verifications, or other evidence as is deemed necessary to establish the domicile of a student. The burden of establishing domicile for admission, tuition, and fee purposes is upon the student.
  2. If there is a question as to domicile, the matter must be brought to the attention of the designated officer at least two weeks prior to the deadline for the payment of tuition and fees. Any student found to have made a false or misleading statement concerning domicile shall be subject to institutional disciplinary action and will be charged the nonresident fees for each academic term theretofore attended.
  3. The previous determination of a student’s domiciliary status by one institution is not conclusive or binding when subsequently considered by another institution; however, assuming no change of facts, the prior judgment should be given strong consideration in the interest of consistency. Out-of-state students being assessed resident tuition and fees as a result of a reciprocity agreement may not transfer said reciprocity status to another public institution in West Virginia.

Section 3. Residence Determined by Domicile

  1. Domicile within the state means adoption of the state as the fixed, permanent home and involves personal presence within the state with no intent on the part of the applicant or, in the case of a dependent student, the applicant’s parent(s) to return to another state or country. Residing with relatives (other than parent(s)/legal guardian) does not, in and of itself, cause the student to attain domicile in this state for admission or fee payment purposes. West Virginia domicile may be established upon the completion of at least 12 months of continued presence within the state prior to the date of registration, provided that such 12 months’ presence is not primarily for the purpose of attendance at any institution of higher education in West Virginia.
  2. Establishment of West Virginia domicile with less than 12 months’ presence prior to the date of registration must be supported by evidence of positive and unequivocal action. In determining domicile, institutional officials should give consideration to such factors as the ownership or lease of a permanently occupied home in West Virginia, full-time employment within the state, paying West Virginia property tax, filing West Virginia income tax returns, registering of motor vehicles in West Virginia, possessing a valid West Virginia driver’s license, and marriage to a person already domiciled in West Virginia. Proof of a number of these actions shall be considered only as evidence which may be used in determining whether or not a domicile has been established.
  3. Factors militating against the establishment of West Virginia domicile might include such considerations as the student not being self-supporting, being claimed as a dependent on federal or state income tax returns or the parents’ health insurance policy if the parents reside out of state, receiving financial assistance from state student aid programs in other states, and leaving the state when school is not in session.

Section 4. Dependency Status

  1. A dependent student is one who is listed as a dependent on the federal or state income tax return of his or her parent(s) or legal guardian or who receives major financial support from that person. Such a student maintains the same domicile as that of the parent(s) or legal guardian. In the event the parents are divorced or legally separated, the dependent student takes the domicile of the parent with whom he or she lives or to whom he or she has been assigned by court order. However, a dependent student who enrolls and is properly classified as an in-state student maintains that classification as long as the enrollment is continuous and that student does not attain independence and establish domicile in another state.
  2. A non-resident student who becomes independent while a student at an institution of higher education in West Virginia does not, by reason of such independence alone, attain domicile in this state for admission or fee payment purposes.

Section 5. Change of Residence

  1. A person who has been classified as an out-of-state student and who seeks resident status in West Virginia must assume the burden of providing conclusive evidence that he or she has established domicile in West Virginia with the intention of making the permanent home in this state. The intent to remain indefinitely in West Virginia is evidenced not only by a person’s statements, but also by that person’s actions. In making a determination regarding a request for change in residency status, the designated institutional officer shall consider those actions referenced in Section 2. The change in classification, if deemed to be warranted, shall be effective for the academic term or semester next following the date of the application for reclassification.

Section 6. Military

  1. An individual who is on full-time active military service in another state or foreign country or is an employee of the federal government shall be classified as an in-state student for the purpose of payment of tuition and fees, provided that the person established a domicile in West Virginia prior to entrance into federal service, entered the federal service from West Virginia, and has at no time while in federal service claimed or established a domicile in another state. Sworn statements attesting to these conditions may be required. The spouse and dependent children of such individuals shall also be classified as in-state students for tuition and fee purposes.
  2. Persons assigned to full-time active military service in West Virginia and residing in the state shall be classified as in-state students for tuition and fee purposes. The spouse and dependent children of such individuals shall also be classified as in-state students for tuition and fee purposes.

Section 7. Aliens

  1. An alien who is in the United States on a resident visa or who has filed a petition for naturalization in the naturalization court, and who has established a bona fide domicile in West Virginia as defined in Section 3, may be eligible for in-state residency classification, provided that person is in the state for purposes other than to attempt to qualify for residency status as a student. Political refugees admitted into the United States for an indefinite period of time and without restriction on the maintenance of a foreign domicile may be eligible for an in-state classification as defined in Section 3. Any person holding a student or other temporary visa cannot be classified as an in-state student.

Section 8. Former Domicile

  1. A person who was formerly domiciled in the state of West Virginia and who would have been eligible for an in-state residency classification at the time of his or her departure from the state may be immediately eligible for classification as a West Virginia resident provided such person returns to West Virginia within a one-year period of time and satisfies the conditions of Section 3 regarding proof of domicile and intent to remain permanently in West Virginia.

Section 9. Residency Decisions/Appeals

Following is the process for initially determining residency for tuition purposes and how students appeal if they disagree with those decisions. Initial residency decisions are made at the admission level. Any questionable decisions are referred to the designated institutional official who determines whether the student meets the residency requirements or additional information is needed to make the decision. If additional information is needed, the student is requested to submit further documentation. If a student feels he or she has been improperly classified as a non-resident for tuition purposes, he or she should request an application for classification as a resident student at West Virginia University. To request this application write: Residency Officer, Office of Admissions, P.O. Box 6009, Morgantown, WV 26506-6009, or call (304) 293-2121.

Once this application and supporting documents are received, a decision is made by the designated institutional official. If the student meets the requirements as outlined by the Board of Governors Policy Bulletin #34, the student is granted residency for the upcoming semester. If the student does not meet the necessary requirements, the student is denied in-state residency. If denied, the student has the option of appealing the decision to the WVU Council on Residency. The council consists of faculty and student representatives, whose number shall be at least three. The student representative(s) shall be appointed by the president of West Virginia University Student Administration while the faculty representative(s) shall be selected by the University Faculty Senate. The student contesting a residency decision shall be given the opportunity to appear before the institutional committee on residency appeals.

If the council overturns the initial denial, the student becomes a resident for the semester in question. Should the council uphold the original denial, the student has the option of appealing to the president of WVU. The president, again, may either uphold the original denial or overturn the decision of the council.

Residency appeals shall end at the institutional level.